A Decorated Cookie You Won’t Want to Spit Out: One Tough Cookie

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Jun 3, 2013

“My cookies are better than ordinary. It’s a decorated cookie an adult wants to eat.”

Meet Gail Dosik, the founder and cookie aficionado behind One Tough Cookie, a specialty, decorated cookie baking business based in New York City. Gail is a walking talking cookie library of sorts. Ask her anything about cookies, and she could talk to you for hours. She’s one of those people who has to know anything and everything about cookies. No cookies go unturned with her, if you ask me, and I think that’s why her cookies are so great. She does the research.

So, over 8 years ago, when she decided to launch her own decorated cookie company, after spending over 25 years in the fashion industry, you can bet she started with really high standards…for herself most of all. Gail explained to me that there really are only a handful of people in the city who do decorated cookies right, 5-6 well-known cookie makers of her pedigree. When I asked, then, what makes hers extra unique, she was quick to say that of all the decorated cookies out there, she knows her recipe “is the best” in flavor and texture. It’s a pretty cookie, you won’t spit out. In fact, you’ll eat the cookie and kinda nudge Gail for another, like me.

I had a hoot of a time filming with Gail, mostly because, I liked that she called me: Toots. You’ll love her not only because she’s got a healthy serving of New York sass, but also because she’s got a ton of heart. So enjoy the video! Have fun getting lost in cookie world.

To work with Gail to design your own personal cookie or “cookies on cake” for a loved one, for your kids, for an event or holiday, please visit her website One Tough Cookie.

Thanks so much for watching and supporting food. curated.! Happy cookie eating!

Comments

1. Paula says:

I have watched a lot of videos of Gail and hands down, this is my favourite. It’s no wonder how she can make such wonderfully creative cakes and cookies. Anyone who has that much charm, wit and effervescent personality has to have it overflow into something. You captured THE Gail and her talents magnificently.

Why welcome Paula! Nice to have you here too :) It makes me smile knowing people who really know Gail feel like I bottled her essence up perfectly. That’s my job, and I try to be as true an honest to the person when making my little films. I want to show people the true heart of a person. And Gail had boatloads of it. Thanks for watching.

2. Sharon Miro says:

I love the fact that you started this out in black, with just Gail’s voice to set the tone. And then ended the piece with voice over as well…you captured her so perfectly…well done.

Hey Sharon. Oh man, I can’t tell you how psyched I am that you loved that artistic choice. It took me awhile to figure out how to kick off the piece, and when I had that lightbulb go off in my head. I was like: OH YEAH. I GOT THIS.

3. Emily says:

This made my day. Creating something beautiful and edible for other people to enjoy is a unique and very special happiness. I totally get it :)

I’m so happy it did Emily! That’s what the stories are for. I make them to make people happy. To make people feel something, something deep, something familiar we all share. Life. xxSkeeter

4. There is no doubt in my mind that Gail, “THE Tough Cookie”, is an artist!!

5. denise says:

You nailed it again, Liza! I enjoyed watching the video of One Tough Cookie!

Hey hey Denise! Why thank you. I love nailing things. haha. But, yeah, I think I got this one just right. Glad you were entertained.

6. Jenny Hartin says:

I loved this story. I love that Gail!

7. Lana says:

Thanks for this wonderful video, Liza! I just adore Gail, her passion, her creativity, and her wonderful sense of humor:) Her cookies always make my jaw drop:) Not artistic? No way!

8. SUCH a fun cake. I wish I were Olivia. :)

Like I say in the piece… “lucky Olivia.” I wish I were Olivia too. I think we all did by the end of the video. So nice to meet you Jaime!

9. Awwww – momma’s heart (as my mither used to say.) Besides being one amazing artist (who uses cookies as her medium), Gail is one fabulous story teller. A true inspiration no matter what your dream is.

10. Awwww – momma’s heart (as my mother used to say.) Besides being one amazing artist (who uses cookies as her medium), Gail is one fabulous story teller. A true inspiration no matter what your dream is.

11. Jennie says:

I adore Gail, and she’s an incredible artist. Her cookies and cakes have been a part of some special moments in our family. Another wonderful video Liza!

12. What a terrific “One Tough Cookie” Gail is! She’s adorable. You captured her so well in this video, Liza! Hope someday she shares that secret cookie recipe with us. For now, we’ll all relish the beauty and delightful flavors of her creations! Bravo !!!

13. I absolutely adore Gail… And, this video captures her spirit and her art (and, I have no doubt that she is a true artist!) perfectly. She is the best of the best… And so are her cookies.

14. click here says:

Just wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just excellent and that i could think you’re an expert on this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to take hold of your RSS feed to stay up to date with imminent post. Thanks one million and please keep up the gratifying work.

15. Love me some Gail!! She is an incredible person with a passion for what she does, you captured her beautifully!

16. Margaret says:

I just loved watching you! So much fun! !!!

17. Gail is awesome. Having tasted her cookies and met her this segment totally captures her wonderful, vibrant essence. Awesome job, Liza. Love watching food.curated on the weekends on NYC public TV.

18. Olivia Fox says:

I LOVE this video!

19. Giulia says:

Liza, your work and Gail’s story touched my soul. After a very difficult year of poor health, I returned to some baking while at home. I am an avid cook and baker but had been unable to enjoy it for a while. This past October, my healing started with bread making and then morphed into sugar cookies. Both activities provided comfort, distraction from life, and deep meditation. My husband, who was also home sick, helped me. Each morning, he would ask if there were cookies to make. We made cookies…..just because. We made them and just gave them away. Therapy can come in so many forms. I sincerely attribute our healing to this activity. People loved my cookies and a small business sprouted, completely unplanned and a total surprise. I have to turn people away because I no longer have the time, but also because it just seems to mean less to me when you have to bake, as opposed to just wanting to bake. I am not cut out for business. Now that I am back at work (elementary school teacher) I miss my precious baking time so I brought baking/meditation into my classroom. My kids LOVED it. Every week they ask if we can bake again. We have baked all kinds of bread and made decorated sugar cookies. This special activity connected into almost every part of our first grade curriculum. most importantly, it left these kids and me, with beautiful memories.

Your video truly told my story as well. I connected in so many ways. I offer sincere thanks. Thanks to Gail for sharing her experience and thanks to you for telling us.

Giulia