On Why We Cook, Chef Sung Park: To Break Taboos and To Create

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on May 2, 2013

“I wanted to make upscale food more accessible, because that’s the way I want to eat.”

Meet Sung Park, the chef and owner of Bistro Petit in Brooklyn, a tiny, unassuming, 10-seater restaurant entirely devoted to unique, bold-flavored Korean French cuisine. Yes. You read that right: Korean French cuisine. Chef Park specializes in the novel – breaking taboos and creating new possibilites in food – proving to doubtful colleagues that you can marry Korean & French flavors and technique. As Chef Park explained to me, “it’s all about balance”. But, achieving that balance didn’t come easy, in fact, it took close to a decade of working and reworking his ideas to finally understand.

I’m telling you now, this is a special place, one of the best deals in Brooklyn too. A place where you’ll discover standout dishes like kimchi bouillabaisse and Korean beef bourguignon. It’s a playground, an on-going test kitchen where Chef Park tinkers and plays around with his secret supply of specialty Korean ingredients – all because, to him, it’s exciting!

Bistro Petit has certainly made an impression on me, which is why I’m excited to share this story. Be sure to check out the $90, 7-course tasting menu served stool side Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. It’s a food experience you won’t want to miss, especially for the price. So, what’s that moment of clarity like, when you finally know why you want to cook? Click play and find out.

**A very special thank you to my pals Mike Thies and Topu Lyo of LIVE FOOTAGE for lending their beautiful, atmospheric music to this story. You can watch them perform live at Apotheke every Sunday night in New York City. Or, just click here!

Thanks so much for watching and supporting food. curated.! It’s the big James Beard Awards week for our little series. Wish us luck and Happy Eating!

Comments

1. Fred says:

I wonder why his menu has grass-fed beef, free-range chicken but also foie gras – is he being selectively humane? :)

2. ANNA CYBULSKI says:

Liza, thanks for another great piece. When Joanna comes to visit us we’ll make sure to visit Bistro Petit.

3. What an interesting story! He followed his dream to cook what he wants – how inspiring! Thanks for sharing this piece on Chef Sung Park. And good luck for the James Beard Awards, Liza ~ you’re already a winner to us!

4. Eric VO says:

@Fred – I think it’s more a matter of selecting ingredients for their flavours above all.
    Can’t wait to try this place out. Passion doesn’t need to be over-bearing or all-consuming – just a simple level.headed guy doing what he loves.
    Great video!

5. Liz says:

Well, the foie gras and language was the show stopper for me…call me a whatever you’d like, but I coul not get past those.

6. Nico says:

There is nothing inhumane about foie gras. As produced in the U.S., it is an artisanal, small-scale endeavor where the quality comes through when the animals are treated properly.

7. I absolutely love your site.. Great colors & theme.
    Did you create this web site yourself? Please reply back as I’m wanting to create my own site and would love to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Many thanks!

8. Luis J says:

All I need is love and visit this place. Love the video and this place looks like the perfect bistro to get in love again.
    Please keep making amazing food that soon I will be eating there.

Amazinggggg Video

9. Hello, I check your blogs like every week. Your story-telling
    style is awesome, keep it up!

10. Hi there I am so happy I found your website, I
    really found you by accident, while I was
    looking on Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say many thanks
    for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to read it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also
    added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic jo.