On Why We Cook, Amie Valpone: Cooking to Live

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Apr 23, 2013

“My whole life I thought I was healthy…”

What if you loved food, but the odds were against you? What if foods you knew to be good and nourishing were also the enemy? These are the questions I tackled this week for my short food. curated. series exploring the idea of Why We Cook.  Meet Amie Valpone, personal chef, recipe developer, food photographer and the Editor-in-Chief of The Healthy Apple, a clean eating blog based in New York City. For Amie, food is a long list of wants but cannot-haves. And this is her story about why she cooks.

I hope Amie’s optimism – despite all her challenges – inspires you to take a moment to think about what you put in your body. So many of us eat without thinking, but if you put more thought into it, if you questioned how your body reacts to certain foods, what would you discover? It’s worth thinking about. I’m certainly thinking about it. That’s why I love her story.

Enjoy. Overcome obstacles. Eat. Food awaits you.

Thanks for watching food. curated.! The James Beard Awards countdown begins. I’ve got my fingers crossed for next week! Happy Eating!

Comments

1. Liz says:

First, I was so excited to see a new video post in my reader and it did not disapoint Liza!

This is my first introduction to Amie and I want to be her friend :) ! What joy, what passion – beautiful in so many ways.

A well told story.

2. Joann Valpone says:

The will to win, enthusiasm & patience is the reason you will beat this Amie! Wonderful insight into your life to not only help yourself, but others as well. You are unique!!

3. Brittany says:

Thank you so much for featuring Amie. She has an incredible story and such an amazing personality. Love her and her recipes!

4. Liza,
    Thank you so much for this beautiful video. You are so incredibly talented and this brought tears to my eyes watching this today! Thank you for being such an amazing friend and for sharing my story in such a unique way to help others. I have never had more fun with anyone filming than I did with you and I feel truly blessed to have worked with you. You are so great to work with- so calm, cool and collected with an incredible amount of patience and passion. You amazed me with your professional skills and your upbeat energy throughout our entire filming and I’m so glad you enjoyed tasting all of my goodies that I made in my kitchen for you! (All free of gluten, dairy, soy, sugar and oils)! Thank you again for this; it truly means the world to me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I feel like I’ve known you forever and I’m looking forward to more foodie adventures with YOU!
    xxo
    Keep up the amazing work; you truly are incredible and so talented. Thank you, thank you, thank you for asking me to be featured on Food Curated.
    Hugs!

5. Kate Simprini says:

I have been following Amie’s Healthy Apple and I have loved every recipe that I have tried. When you eliminate dairy, soy and gluten from your diet you learn about the many wonderful choices that also taste amazing. Stay happy and healthy Amie.

6. Alice Tice says:

Amie – What Great Karma : 0 )
    You are fabulous & inspirational in so many ways! You bring light, hope & energy to the lives of so many by providing possible solutions to food & health obstacles. You live & teach that trial & error is a good thing and that nobody knows your own body better than you. Stay strong, healthy & happy & keep on doing what you do. It is so wonderful & so important to so many! XOX

7. Mary Jean says:

WONDERFUL!!! You are an inspiration to so many who need this encouraging view of eating right. I have one correction if you will allow me. You mentioned those who can eat McDonalds, smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol without a problem. It is only a matter of time for those who live like this. They will reap what they sow and wonder why. Keep up the great work!!!

8. Kirstin says:

WHAT a beautiful video which captured your life so perfectly. Congratulations! Can’t WAIT to see more in the future–of your photos and your life unfolding.

9. Erin Smith says:

What a great video about Amie. I know Amie through the NYC gluten-free community and this captures her fighting spirit and creativity in the kitchen perfectly!

10. Kathy Ankiewicz says:

Amie I really enjoyed watching the video. Your loving and caring spirit come shining through. I think if we all ate the foods that were good for us and listened to our bodies we’d all feel a lot better. You really are an inspiration! You keep going on and creating helpful recipes and beautiful photography. Love you and your enthusiasm about what you do! Your food looks so good. Anytime you need a taster give a call. With the determination and strength you possess anything can be done.

11. Alyson Valpone says:

You’re an inspiration, Amie! Your positive energy is infectious and as you heal yourself by sharing your recipes and photos, you are also helping heal others. You’re the strongest person I know and you are using your gift in life to make a positive difference. You should be proud of all you have done, overcome and continue to do in life.

12. Amie Jo…Fantastic video and I learned so much. You are an amazing woman and I applaud your tenancity and dedication not only to help yourself, but others as well. I know your family is so proud of you and I pray for you everyday and that you will succeed in conquering this menance and finally live a happier, healthier life. Stay strong my love :)

13. Tom Allen says:

You are right not to let dietary restrictions knock you down. Food is fun, but it’s not everything, not anywhere near it.

14. Lisa Economou says:

Hi Amie! Beautiful video! You are an amazing person and look just as amazing as well. True inspiration and I can’t wait to try some of your recipes! If you ever need anything please let me know! Love your place in the city as well! Love you xoxo, Lisa Economou

• Lisa,
      SO great to hear from you! Thank you so much for your comment; such a nice surprise. Hope all is well with you. Sending you and your family HUGE hugs.
      xoxo
      Aims

15. Marga says:

Amie, you are one amazing woman! You have brought health and hope to yourself and many others.
    BRAVA!

16. Cooking is great for the heart and soul.

17. Ella says:

What’s up, all is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that’s in fact fine,
    keep up writing.

18. Shery says:

Hi! By accident I found your part of your program. Am very interested in your history. I have Crohns disease for thirty years. Am going for food tolerance testing.

Shery

19. Shery says:

All these 65 years I’ve eaten but not food good for me
    Allergirpes caused inflamatiom in my digestive sysyemvand and on and on.

20. Even, I have never think before that whether it is healthy or not to eat. But, here you stop me to think once that what to eat or what to not. I am glad to read you and it’s fact that we must eat healthy food for good health.