Bacchanal Pepper Sauce: A One of a Kind, Hot Sauce Elixir

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Mar 25, 2013

“Like everybody else, I have Tabasco getting dusty in my cupboard. For me, it’s always been about fresh peppers.”

Meet Sonya Samuel, the founder and owner behind Bacchanal Pepper Sauce, a Brooklyn made, Caribbean-hot, soul-satisfying pepper sauce that recently launched in New York City. Like her hot sauce, Sonya too is a party. She throws around “yeah babys” like I throw around smiles, engaging people with a lust-for-life attitude that you’re always glad to bump up into, when you do. Now, Sonya LOVES food. And I’m not saying it just to say it. I’m saying it because it’s something she’ll tell you often – and often with a very vocal opinion. She knows what she likes and doesn’t like, and isn’t shy about picking dishes apart. I appreciate that about her. She knows and trusts her palate, and I think that’s why her hot sauce is SO GOOD. She has standards…very high standards. Sonya wants her pepper sauce to represent what she believes in food: that good food should create memories and moments. It should “transport” you. And, you know what, I’ll give it to her. This pepper sauce is like a nice, spicy vacation.

Enjoy her story!

As of a few weeks ago, Sonya just started offering Bacchanal Pepper Sauce on her website online. It’s 100% natural with no preservatives – something very important to Sonya – and a great condiment for anyone who likes a bit of heat. Which, in case you’re wondering, is about an 8 out of 10 for most “pepper heads”. I’ve eaten it on eggs, in soups, on italian subs, on vegetables. It’s quite versatile and opens up dishes in a really nice way. I think you’ll be surprised how many layers of flavor you’ll experience. And the fruit, really, is what makes it sing (at least for me). I think that’s what sets it apart from all the other hot sauces in my fridge. It’s in a category of its own, and certainly worth a try.

Thanks for watching food. curated. and supporting small food makers! Would love to hear what you think of the story in my comments section! Happy eating!

Comments

1. Jackie says:

I love this, and love even more that it is Brooklyn made. Thanks as always for sharing a great story!

2. Valerie Joseph says:

I have recently tried this Bacchanal sauce and your are absolutely correct with the “many layers of flavors experienced”. I’ve tried it on grilled salmon, baked chicken, as a dip for vegetable paties and many more. The truth is, prior to Bacchanal sauce I was not a “hot sauce” lover but this sauce have added a whole new food experience for me. It really leaves my taste buds “happy”. I do enjoy this sauce!

3. Byron says:

Work it Sonya, I’m soooo proud of you! What a great write up Liza, thanks for sharing Sonya with your readers.

4. Sonya says:

Liza,

Thank you so much for featuring me and my Bacchanal Pepper Sauce on food curated! It was amazing working with you and I absolutely love the community of food lovers you’ve built here! All of my Bacchanal Pepper Sauce revelers and supporters are enjoying the video. You are not only talented but super awesome!

Thank you & Stay Hot!

Sonya

5. Ama says:

I recently tried this pepper sauce and fell in love with it! Bacchanal is more than spicy it is flavorful! I have used it on rice and peas, my veggies and fish and I have LOVED extra flavor it added to my meals.

6. Matt Timms says:

So pumped about Bacchanal Sauce! Premiered at the Hot Sauce Takedown at 2012′s Googamooga! And man it is good. Sonya gave me a sample bottle and wow, it is real. Hot and sweet party in your melting face. I ate it with eggs (totally yum), and man oh man I swear I think it went best with fish. Don’t know if that’s an okay thing to do, but I love it- and the Caribbean flavor pairs awesomely with the texture of a mild white fish. Big fan!!!!!

7. Greg Altman says:

hey, enjoyed watching you make your hot sauce. Interesting to see the prodigious use of sweet fruit in it. I tend to make a more savory sauce, I lean towards root vegetables and things like celery and ginger, it can come out like a hot relish if I don’t use a food processor. I guess its what I have available from the farm in the fall when the hot peppers arrive. Will certainly at least throw in some lime juice next time around. If we have some extra habaneros this fall will let you know!

8. Nneka says:

I love this pepper sauce! It’s so good and I’ve been using it on everything from my grits to green-beans to crab-cakes. The Bacchanal pepper sauce really adds that extra bit of Caribbean flavor that my foods been missing.

9. Nicole J says:

This sauce goes great with just about any savory dish you can think of. I’ve been using it recently in any stews, gravy or sauces I make. It adds something special to my fish stews. I love adding it to Lasagna, spaghetti sauce or spaghetti and meatballs….gives the flavor some depth.

10. Mary B says:

Sonya I love love love your pepper sauce!! Your sauce has been the de facto flavor ingredient to most of my dishes since I first purchased a bottle from you two weeks ago. I was actually looking to re-up when I came across this video. I enjoyed it immensely (the video and your pepper sauce)!! It was nice to see how much love actually goes into each bottle.. And Pineapples??! I never would’ve guessed it!!

Watching how many delicious fresh ingredients go into each batch helps me better understand not only my addiction to your sauce, but also how Bacchanal is able to contribute so much flavor to my dishes!! Having all that flavor and bite with the flick of a wrist has been a God send to this novice chef! Thank You Bacchanal! <3
    (PS..I hope my partner doesn't figure out that Bacchanal's actually my secret ingredient lol)

11. Hi Liza.I watch your show all the time.
    Thanks for sharing.I enjoyed Sonya’s
    story.Ciao…

Hello Marty!!! So nice to hear from you here. Really glad you enjoyed the story on Sonya. I love how I get her to crack us all up at the top of the story, makes her so lovable. I also use her hot sauce all the time still, it’s great on breakfast tacos and in soups and on chicken wings! Can’t wait for you to try it. xxLiza

12. Paige says:

Love Sonya and her sauce! Just finished a bottle need more asap!

13. Lesley Johnson says:

Dear Sonya,

Are your products in any supermarkets? I would like to buy it.

Thanks,

14. When someone writes an paragraph he/she keepps the plan
    of a user inn his/her brain that how a user can be awaqre of it.

Thus that’s why this article is perfect. Thanks!

15. It is worthy of note that there are many tools that
    can be used to analyze the search trends. Sign up for Huff Duffer and
    creatively integrate the profile with the original website.
    Make sure to have relevant pictures and videos in order to promote your
    product or service.

16. Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from
    an established blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog?

I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where
    to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions?
    Many thanks

Here is my web page – http://www.imtcwiki.org/index.php/User:VerlaScarbrough

17. Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem along with your site in web explorer, may check this?

IE still is the market chief and a good element of other folks will pass over your wonderful writing due to this problem.

Here is my homepage … networking melbourne (http://www.fromtheloomroom.com)

18. Here you can find free price quotes, compare the prices of similar models,
    and then decide on what your tablet is worth.
    N97mini arrival of such new round this week to promote sales of high
    tide. If I charged too much, then I wouldn’t be able to find someone willing to pay what I wanted.
    Again, please make sure you are following all of the applicable
    laws when ripping copy-protected DVD’s.

my website – youtube video

19. Reinaldo says:

I like what you guys are up too. This sort of clever
    work and exposure! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

20. Hi. Simply just wished to ask a fast query. Now i’m putting together my own blog site as
    well as would want to learn in which you’ve got your concept?

Was the item totally free? As well as seemed to be the item paid for?
    I cannot often come across anything just like that one, consequently with luck , you’ll be able to i want to recognize.
    Many thanks. PS, our sorry. Language just isn’t my
    personal primary language.

21. So, as I wrote previously in this article all is not lost.
    Imagine that you have to double you preparation to welcome your
    two little babies at once. By putting a a cushion beneath her bottom, the girl
    can lean her cervix and aid the sperm get to in which it requirements to go.

22. 37 Ѕony BRAVIA NX 800 Series 52-Inch LCD TV,
    Black

23. Hi, everything is going fine here and ofcourse
    every one is sharing facts, that’s in fact fine, keep up writing.

24. Someone essentially assist to make seriously posts I would state.
    That is the first time I frequented your website page and
    so far? I amazed with the research you made to make this actual
    post incredible. Magnificent activity!Cafeland Cheats Coins

25. Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem along with your site in web explorer, may check this?
    IE nonetheless is the market chief and a big part of folks will pass
    over your wonderful writing due to this problem.

26. I have a friend that drinks pepper sauce, he puts it on everything. Caribbean-hot, soul-satisfying pepper sauce, I will have to try to find this. It is very interesting, I’m always looking for new foods or taste’s.

27. Hi there to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web site,
    and your views are fastidious in support of new viewers.

28. It’s going to be ending of mine day, but before ending I am reading this great paragraph
    to increase my knowledge.

29. You know hence considerably on the subject of the following issue, created me personally personally imagine this by a number of different perspectives. The such as individuals usually are not curious right up until it is something connected to Pixie lott! Your own stuffs excellent. At all times cope with it down!

30. Mariano says:

They can help individuals obtain the “best” qualities in
    their individual capabilities – by presenting them
    to financial institutions, finance homes, residence
    tax professionals, and required organizations. There is
    always something exciting happening in Hyde
    Park, and you are certain to love the experiences you find lurking within.

Since it is situated in Bicentric Writer, hotel guests can easily make themselves wandering at City and Reagent streets,
    for both statesman shopping.

31. Wow! Finally I gott a website from where I know how to genuinely
    obtain valuable facts concerning myy styudy and knowledge.