Silver Moon Bakery: Rolling Out The Best Baguettes in New York City

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Dec 10, 2012

“There’s something about smelling bread that touches the atavistic impulses inside of us and comforts us.”

Meet Judith Norell, the baker and owner of Silver Moon Bakery, a small neighborhood bakeshop located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. For Judith, baking bread is a calling – it’s not work to her – it’s more like her art and her joy. It’s fun watching her get lost in it too. She’s so poignant about something so seemingly simple. And when Judith talks about bread, her face lights up! It literally lights up. You’ll see it happen in the first few moments of the video. It’s the coolest thing. To find so much passion in someone’s eyes, it’s moving…

Silver Moon Bakery’s baguettes are, hands down, my favorite baguettes in New York City. There’s nothing like ‘em. To me, they have the perfect texture, perfect flavor and crunch. I hope you stop by to pick up a baguette or two. You won’t regret it!

So, enjoy the story. This is my birthday story. My birthday post as a shared present to myself and to you. Making people feel special is the best feeling in the world. It’s why I tell stories – and I feel so lucky I get to share what I love doing most. xx

Silver Moon Bakery

2740 Broadway (at the corner of 105th Street)
New York, NY 10025

Thanks so much for watching and supporting food. curated.! Happy Eating!

Comments

1. Gary says:

Love the video Liza. Beautifully shot and made. :)

2. Ali Indrawan says:

When she talks about pounding baguette, her eyes lit up. Oh my, this is such a splendid video Liza. I’m moved.

I would guess that you have the same light & glitter in your eyes, when you talk to the people whom you documented.

Keep your passion high. Best wishes for your birthday.

3. Nicholas says:

Another stunner, you keep rolling them out! I started making ricotta last year in a restaurant in London because of one of your videos, I am now in Berlin and I will be making it again soon. Happy birthday and thank you!

4. Dvorka says:

Great video! Great lady! Great, Great bakary.
    Thanks

5. Paige says:

Beautiful video! Judith is lovely!

6. Amy says:

What a beautiful story and video…I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and we have a lot of great bread here, but I wish I could run over to this bakery right now. Would love to support this wonderful baker and her shop.

7. Brian says:

Silver Moon is good. Check out La Toulousaine Bakery on Amsterdam and 106th. Even better.

8. kim says:

Thanks so much for the thoughtful video. Did she play the back ground piano music (I’m a pianist) as well? :) I’ve been searching the city for the best sourdough, but I still haven’t gotten myself to the UWS yet! I need to get there! I’m a bread-aholic. :)

Hi Kim! She didn’t. But that was a great idea. Judith was actually a professional harpsichordist for many many years before she became a baker. Isn’t that interesting? You can find her music online.

9. I watched Food Curated today 12/22/2012 on channel 25 and watched Judith Norell talk about her love of making her breads. I found her so sincere and loving her business that I will make a trip from Brooklyn to her store next week. Her breads look delicious and I wish I was a bread baker because I could see that I could easily fall in love with baking bread. I do cook, and my mother baked breads, cakes, cookies along with fried breads throughout my childhood. Being one of three boys, my brothers and I all loved cooking with our mother. Thanks for this great peak into a business woman who loves her creations. Gil Rodriguez

10. EM Prentiss says:

try her fruit bread! Awesome french toast, if there is any left over

11. Piano Man says:

That is one fantastic video. I can’t wait to stop by and visit her on my next trip to NYC.

12. Streamslet says:

This is fascinating I definitely need to be giving these a try next time i’m in NYC