Bark Butter: Why Every Hot Dog Needs a Little More Pork Fat

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Feb 1, 2012

“We’re in New York. We have dirty water dogs. But, I’ll be honest, I don’t love a boiled hot dog. I’ll probably never eat one again.”

Meet Josh Sharkey, the co-founder/owner of Bark Hot Dogs, a sustainable fast food restaurant in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Josh believes there are two main aspects to a great hot dog:   1) It’s got to have great snap – and great snap comes from great casing. Bark Hot Dogs uses sheep casing. It’s all natural and develops that perfect hot dog snap when cooked. 2) You have to use good meat – and good meat comes from good farms. Bark takes pride in sourcing high quality pork products from Heritage Foods USA and all natural beef from Meyer Natural Angus, a certified organic farm in Colorado. To ensure customers can really taste and appreciate the meat that they’re eating, they keep meat cuts down to a minimum, using only pork shoulder, pork jowl and beef shoulder to craft their artisan hot dogs. So, as long as you have those two elements, you’re guaranteed a great hot dog. Josh is sure of it. But, then again, Josh isn’t interested in just a great hot dog, he wants the BEST hot dog, and to get the best hot dog, they use a special, homemade dressing they call: Bark Butter.

Bark Butter is a savory, super smoky, house made lard butter that just so happens to contain lots and lots of smoked pork fat. They coat every hot dog with it, just seconds before placing it into the bun. It’s not listed on their menu. They rarely even mention it at the restaurant. But, it’s their little trick that puts their hot dogs in another class – that last punch of rich pork flavor that makes you wonder why these hot dogs taste so good.

So, go on then, watch my fun little video and see how the REAL secret to a great hot dog gets crafted! It’ll make you want to head to Brooklyn to taste the difference yourself. I highly recommend trying the bacon cheddar dog, the kraut dog, the briny, full of crunch, pickle dog, a side of gravy fries and a chocolate salted caramel shake. Don’t be shy with the housemade condiments. And, if you have room, definitely get the pork burger – which, of course, has Bark Butter in it too! Fast food the way fast food should be.

Bark Hot Dogs: 474 Bergen Street, Park Slope, Brooklyn

Thanks for watching food. curated.! Happy, snappy eating! And cheers to Josh for living the American Dream (wink, wink). :)

Comments

1. Hagan says:

When’d you get the new camera? Love this episode… Their hot dogs are amazing!

2. Melissa says:

I am tempted to book a plane ticket,1st class of course, right now to get one of those Bark Hot Dogs (and those gravy fries & chocolate slated caramel shake you recommended). Look at all the care that went into those hot dogs. Maybe Josh should start packaging the Bark Butter. You know how I love a good food product! This is going to the top of my NY List!

3. Mark Guncheon says:

Great job, Liza. You not only give a great visual presentation but you get your “subject” comfortable with the camera. It’s like they are an old friend telling us a favorite story. Thanks!

Mark

4. Lee says:

Do they also make their own sausages?

5. What a superb video presentation. The hot dog is mouthwatering and Josh is handsome,lol. Great job!

6. Nice presentation, I myself would like to pud a video presentation on my site, but I’m still not sure about the size it would consume on my server.

Thanks for the post. God Bless.

7. Miss Nom says:

I DONT EVEN LIKE HOTDOGS AND THESE LOOK AMAZING!

What a great video and a great idea… I think I will try making some of this butter to cook other things with also…

Cheers!

8. Mattie says:

What i do not realize is actually how you
    are now not really a lot more smartly-appreciated than you might be right now.
    You are so intelligent. You know therefore considerably with regards to
    this subject, made me individually imagine it from so many
    various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated unless it is
    something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs great.

Always maintain it up!

9. Thanks in favor of sharing such a fastidious thinking, article is
    pleasant, thats why i have read it fully

Also visit my weblog; Herpes Cure In Australia

10. It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I
    am happy that you shared this helpful info with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.