Duty, Heart & Korean Soul in a Jar: Arirang Kimchi

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Jun 17, 2011

“Arirang Kimchi, for 30 years, has been in Korean markets in the East Coast area. I decided to make it my responsibility to make the brand known to non-Koreans.”

Meet Kyung Oh/Co-Founder and, her daughter, Vicky Oh/General Manager of Arirang Kimchi, an artisan kimchi company located in Englewood, New Jersey. “Arirang”, it was explained, is a Korean word with no direct meaning; but for Koreans, like Kyung and Vicky, it’s a word that stands for soul: Korean soul. And Arirang Kimchi certainly has soul, way more soul and way more passion in a jar than I expected.

Kyung Oh first started experimenting with kimchi recipes over 30 years ago when she moved to the United States on her honeymoon – obsessing over perfecting the flavor of kimchi that reminded her of home. The end result, over years of testing, was so good, and so loved by family and friends, her husband encouraged her to start a kimchi business. And in 1981, Arirang Kimchi was born. Always Fresh. Always Delicious. is their company motto – a tagline they live up to by keeping the product hand chopped, hand washed, handmade and hand jarred with pride and love for their customers.

So, come watch my story and see what goes into making premium quality kimchi. Honestly, there’s something about it that really stands out from other kimchi brands. It’s so crisp and so fresh. I mean, REALLY crisp and fresh. When you bite into it, it’s got a snap to it, it bites back at you – a quality hard to find in most kimchi I’ve tried. It’s also got a perfect spicy kick that comes on strong to say hello, but doesn’t linger to hurt you. And packed into the handmade red pepper sauce is just the right pungent, sweet, salty, gingery, garlicky balance that’ll make you crave kimchi like none other. It’s versatile. It’s good with meats. It’s good in ramen. It’s good just on its own. And it lasts in your fridge forever. My guess, with kimchi trending in the food world, it won’t take them very long to get non-Koreans to notice.

To try Arirang Kimchi, you can pick up a jar at select markets across New York City, New Jersey and Brooklyn, such as: Blue Apron Foods & Brooklyn Fare (Brooklyn), H&Y Mart (Flushing & Long Island), HanNam Supermarket (Fort Lee). Their most popular products to shop for are listed below:

• Mahk Kimchi (cut napa kimchi)
  • Pouki Kimchi (quartered napa kimchi)
  • Chongkak Kimchi (Baby radish kimchi)
  • Kak Doo Gi (daikon radish kimchi)

And FYI - Mrs Oh’s red pepper sauce is a well protected secret, so I wasn’t allowed to film the making of it; but, the whole process is exciting to watch nonetheless.

Thanks so much for watching food. curated.! Happy eating!

Comments

1. Tim Vidra says:

What a great video! I have to agree Kimchi has to have that crunch and spicy bite! I am going to look for this brand!

E.A.T.

Awesome. Thanks for stopping by to watch Tim! Yeah, I’ve been eating a lot of kimchi lately. This is still my favorite. So happy to see they have such a meaningful story too!

2. luisa says:

This is such a great piece- gimme some kimchi! i bet it will taste great in a steak sandwich!

3. Jen says:

Great video! Kimchi is seriously “best food whole world”……kimchi ftw!

4. Mark says:

Arirang Kimchi is awesome . . . and I’m not just saying that because I know Vicky Oh personally. Its really good !!!

5. ivy says:

great video! arirang kimchi is already a household name like heinz for koreans~ will you be making 57 varieties too??? : )

6. Carlos says:

VICKY WE LOVES YOU!!!

7. Katie says:

That is so awesome Vicky! Great job!!! xo

8. Nari says:

Arirang is by far and away the best kimchi you can get at a store. Go Ohs!

9. Amy says:

Wow — this video is amazing — soooo beautiful to see the mother-daughter run kimchi business with so much love put into the kimchi!

10. Frank in LA says:

Awesome! Congrats on your success Vicky!

11. jason L says:

if you’re korean, you KNOW arirang kimchi. great to see others are getting to know about it! great video!

12. Jackie Kim says:

Arirang Kimchi is THE MOST DELICIOUS kimchee I ever ate! I love it most with a ramen and egg, cut up in some bibim gook soo and with a plain bowl of rice. I love all that’s put into making it because you can taste that passion with every bite! If making kimchi was a challenge on TOP CHEF, there would be no contest. ARIRANG KIMCHEE IS A WINNER!

13. Julee Song says:

I grew up on Arirang Kimchee and am so glad that the brand is gaining popularity with a wider audience!

14. hanna says:

i LOVE arirang kimchee! living in brooklyn it’s pretty hard to get a hold of an authentic GOOD jar of kimchi so whenever i see arirang i make sure to buy up a ton! it’s so good and versatile it’s great with korean food and non-korean food! i love with chopped up on top of hot dogs as a sauerkraut substitute. mmmmmm kimchi stew, kimchi pancakes, kimchi dumplings, kimchi tacos… yum!

15. Julee Song says:

I grew up with Arirang Kimchee and am so glad that the brand is gaining popularity with a wider audience!

16. twins says:

It is great to see Mrs.oh to make clean kimchee that everyone knows. They are the only one i know that makes clean kimchee and the best material. i wish Mrs. oh and her daughter good luck. and wish her good health.

17. Julee says:

I grew up with Arirang Kimchee and am so glad to see the brand’s popularity grow!

18. Shelly says:

I also grew up eating Arirang Kimchee. Since I’ve moved down South, no other brand even comes close. I wish Arirang Kimchee was available in Texas. It’s so awesome!

Love all the insight into how good Arirang is. Thanks Shelly. Is it hard to get good kimchi in Texas?

• michael says:

Arirang Kimchi is now available online at shop.foodchannel.com
      Vicky handles all of the packing and shipping personally. We’ve sent it as far west as California. Hopefully that’s a bit of good news for all of you who grew up on this stuff, like me!

19. Ali says:

I love Arirang Kimchi. We keep it stocked in our fridge and use it for buta kimchi and on hot dogs! So spicy and tasty. This video was fun to watch.

20. Chris H says:

Love this video Liza! I really wish I could buy this at the H-Mart in Manhattan.

21. Abbey says:

Wow, it’s so interesting to see the whole process. Arirang Kimchi is super delish!!!
    Now I’m hungry.. :P

22. peter says:

i grew up on arirang kimchee and it’s really THE best… it has that kick and crunch i look for… i’m very picky and arirang is always great tasting. congratulations to the oh family !

23. joe says:

Love seeing Kimchi getting some love! Great video!

24. jin says:

oh my, this video is making me wanna run out and buy me some arirang kimchee NOW! thanks for sharing the intricate process behind this incredible creation : )

25. Ben says:

BRB going to buy some Arirang Kimchi. Mmmmmmmmm

26. Elisa says:

Arirang Kimchi!

27. David says:

My favorite kimchi for years! literally for 20 years. so goood!

28. Slots says:

Soul and identity of every countries is represented in the delicacies they produce….thanks for sharing

29. Whoa says:

Whoaaa! It does not last in your fridge forever!! Even if you have a special kimchee refrigerator.

30. someone says:

where can i buy this product? What brand is it? It looks fabulouse but dont know where to get it.

31. Matt says:

Just saw the video on t.v., can’t wait to head to Flushing to try Arirang! Thank you so much Liza for bringing this to our attention. I live in Jackson Heights and already thought I had access to awesome kimchi at our local Korean grocery store, but this kimchi looks like a kimchi of the gods! I love when people take the time to apply technique and attention to their cooking. That’s the stuff that nourishes our souls. So looking forward to trying Arirang. Thanks again for your program, Liza, it’s great to learn about what cooking in our backyard.

Hi Matt! So nice to hear from you. You’re the best for taking the time to stop by here to say hello. I will say Arirang is the best kimchi I’ve had in NYC. I can’t wait for you to try it. I even have a jar of their kimchi in my fridge now. Let me know when you try it! I’d love your thoughts. And thanks for watching my TV show. I love telling these stories :) -Liza