This Sweet/Spicy Condiment Will Change Your Life: Mike’s Hot Honey

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on May 17, 2011

“It’s always been my dream to become a condiment man, and I feel like I’m taking the steps necessary, at this point, to reach that goal.”

Meet Michael Kurtz, the founder and completely obsessed “condiment man” behind Mike’s Hot Honey, a small-batch spicy pepper infused honey company based in Long Island City, Queens. Mike loves condiments. He collects them like a little kid would collect baseball cards. It’s a love that grew out of his passion for hot sauces growing up; a love that expanded to other bottled and jarred goods as he was exposed to greater cuisines and food markets here in New York City.

Now, not all collectors like to become the maker of things they like to collect. But, Mike always had a passion for food. He’s not a trained chef, but works confidently around a kitchen; and for many years, he tried to develop his own special condiment to take to market. But nothing, and I mean nothing, really inspired him until he had his first taste of spicy pepper infused honey in Brazil in 2003.

So, come watch Mike’s story and see for yourself why these little squeeze bottles of red-hued honey are full of surprises and secrets worth trying over and over, and again and again and again.¬† I will admit, I’m an addict already. It pairs with more foods than you can imagine too. I’ve squeezed it onto cooked seafood, peanut-butter sandwiches, all sorts of fruits and vegetables, avocados, eggs, cheeses – it even made it onto my morning granola w/yogurt & berries. And I tell you, it was damn good. This Mike’s Hot Honey stuff is amazing. And like the title says, this condiment will change your life. It’s already changed mine and a good number of people here in New York and across the country who’ve been lucky enough to try it.

To pick up a $6 bottle of Mike’s Hot Honey for your own personal condiment collection, you can visit Paulie Gee’s Pizza in Brooklyn or order online here. He even ships internationally too.

Some of Mike’s favorite hot honey food pairings are listed below. And the best part is, he sources his honey from a local apiary in Pennsylvania, with hopes to one day find a farmer to grow his secret peppers here in New York.

Mike’s Top Hot Honey Pairings:

• manchengo cheese & Bosc pears
  • vanilla ice cream (Mike’s mom’s favorite)
  • vegetable & meat stir fry
  • shrimp
  • roasted chicken
  • Salvatore Bklyn ricotta w/fresh baguette (his favorite)

Thanks for watching food. curated.! Happy Eating!

Comments

1. Sarah says:

I NEED mike’s hot honey!!! AAAHHH!!!

2. raoulnyc says:

I wish the label said made in Queens instead of brooklyn.

• Thank you Liza for spreading the hot honey gospel!!!

@raoulnyc Hot Hot honey is made in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, but our office HQ is in LIC, Queens. We’re a two-borough operation.

3. mariannanyc says:

Also fantastic on bread with peanut butter!! Basically, fantastic on everything.

4. MT says:

It will change the way you make dressings and marinades as well. Love it.

5. hoovivitz says:

This stuff is so right

6. brojuice says:

This weekend at brunch I gave some sausage links a dose of hot honey as they cooked in the pan‚Äö√Ñ√Æa perfect sweet and spicy coating…

7. Mike's mom says:

It’s true! I think it’s fabulous on vanilla ice cream–the heat gets tempered by the cold sweet cream. Tried it recently on butternut squash–yum! Great in stir fries and really wonderful on anything with tomatoes. For those of us who don’t like as much heat, just mix it in. Great film, great product, very cute chef.

8. Alice says:

It is all true. For those of us who have milder palates, mix it in and it is the best!! I have known this wonderful chef all his life….he is not only a great and creative inventor but a wonderful person too. Go buy this this hot honey….you will LOVE it.

9. A Hot Honey says:

This is my favorite all-purpose seasoning and condiment! I love all of the uses above, and below are some of my favorites that I highly recommend–and you can use a little for a light tingle, or a lot for a nice warm infusion!

- I always add it to my tomato sauces, to even out the acidity of the tomatoes
    - I love to season chicken with some salt, pepper, garlic, balsamic and hot honey
    - I agree with brojuice–its so good on breakfast sausage! If you use it in the pan, it caramelizes and coats the links in spicy sweet goodness!
    - My new favorite use is drizzle it on grapefruit, or to drizzle it on peanut butter smeared over green apples

10. Atiyya says:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaw suga, Mike’s hot honey in full effect! I have my bottle, how about you? Perfect for pregnant women with unique cravings.

Get some =)

11. ahhraai says:

I eat this like candy by it self, but would like to try it on ice cream like Mike’s mom suggested, this goes good with all pizza’s and fried chicken, you could even put on your deli sandwich or in a salad!

12. Colavito Napolitani says:

Mikey knows quality. You take your fresh baguette, you smear it down with cold fresh ricotta, then…you administer the honey. Bingo-bango, home run.

13. April says:

I love Mike’s Hot Honey! I put it on (or in) everything, such as:
    chicken soup or any other soup
    chili
    bagels and cream cheese
    quesadilas
    spaghetti sauce
    ice cream
    peanutbutter/hot honey sandwich
    Any chicken recipe
    Hot Honey has led me the way to spicey foods, that I can control!
    Thank you, Mike, for helpng to show the way,

14. Rafa says:

MIke’s Hot Honey is great fro spicing up the summer grilling experience. It will take a grilled chicken OVER THE TOP, just mix it into your marinade before throwing the chicken on and add a few more coats while on the grill. Que Beleza!!!

15. Corey says:

This stuff is amazing! I use it on lots of different things…stir fry, chicken, with cheese as a snack, on roasted vegetables to give them a kick, ice cream, pancakes, tomato sauce, and of course, pizza. Not to be missed! SOOOOO GOOD!!!!

16. Steve says:

What I love about the hot honey is how I can add it to so many different foods, from so many parts of the world. I especially like it on rice and beans! It’s amazingly versatile!

17. zoë says:

roast veggies in a hot honey marinade… SOOO good!

18. zoë says:

roast veggies in a hot honey marinade… SOOO good!

19. Tony says:

OMG! This looks AMAZING! I so can’t wait to get my hands on a bottle of this!

Mike reminds me of Jeremy Renner from The Hurt Locker…That should be the name of his next spicy concoction!

20. bboyE_one says:

Yes I agree with all these comments. This stuff is AMAZING!

21. Alan says:

Mike’s Hot Honey gives new meaning to spicey meatballs. There’s no loaf left when you ooze a bit on a meatloaf. And breakfast pops with a squirt in your oatmeal. Philly cheese steaks go uptown with a spritz. What can I say, it’s a gastronomic game changer. Way to go, Mike.

22. Steffen says:

Just watching that already got me completely hooked. Can’t wait for my trip to New York in June, I’ll hopefully find a way to purchase some. I’ll bring Mike’s Hot Honey to Europe :)

Steffen you can get it shipped to Europe! He’s gotten a lot of international orders since this video. Either way, you should stop by Paulie Gee’s, meet Mike and try it on that pizza. The best!

23. Sounds absolutely awesome, thanks for sharing.

24. delaceiba says:

Not only does Mike make bangin beats, he is also a condiment man extraordinaire! Mike’s hot honey is the most versatile condiment around, you can use it on almost anything. I work at a High School and have introduced the honey to several of my students, they absolutely love it as well.

Hey Delaceiba! I keep telling everyone this is a “game-changer” condiment. And after I make my introductions, everyone else agrees too!

25. Sarah-Ann says:

Great videos on Mike’s Hot Honey. I’m an instant fan – I’m literally purchasing some right now after seeing this. Can’t wait to stop by for the Hot Honey Pizza next time I’m back home in NYC. Yum. :)

26. Natalie says:

Just ordered some, cant wait to taste it!!! :)

27. Poorvi says:

Mike’s Hot Honey sounds AMAZING! Not sure how i missed this post back in May. I am a HUGE fan of sweet + spicy + sour combined….and kind of a condiment girl myself – will have to order this from his site. Coincidentally, my hubbie and I started dating on a trip to Bahia, BR – so I can totally understand the feeling of discovering new foods there. Thanks for this post – love all your finds and your videos!!

Poorvi. I promise you, you will NOT be disappointed. It’ll be the best $8 you’ve spent in a long long time. Let me know once you try it and thanks so much for the kind words. I’m really psyched you’ve watched a lot of my stories. :) -Liza

28. Zach says:

I can’t believe I didn’t know about this until just now. This looks amazing. I own a small mustard company and watching/listening to Mike is extremely reminiscent to our beginnings. Go Mike go!

29. Salvatore Giannello says:

I am glad we found hot honey. Its just fantastic. The creep is awesome, sweet—-wait for it——not too hot. Here is a nice sandwich, fresh Sgabeo with Prosciuttini and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Unreal, thanks for bringing us this Mike!

30. Ol' Benito says:

Just ordered a bottle not too long ago. I have had habanero infused honey before. This stuff tastes different.It is quite tasty…I am getting ready to experiment. The issue I have had with chile pepper infused honeys in the past is that the heat is often too subtle. This stuff is nice and hot and you feel the burn in your mouth relatively quickly. I love it in oatmeal. Nice work Mike!- Ol ‘ Benito