Danny Macaroons: There’s No Such Thing as Boring Coconut Macaroons Anymore

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Apr 20, 2011

“Coconut macaroons are really just awesome cookies on the same level as a chocolate chip cookie. And people might cringe and say: ‘Ooooo, but a chocolate chip cookie is really great and there really isn’t much better than a chocolate chip cookie.’ But, I think coconut macaroons can be THAT good.”

Meet Dan Cohen, the founder and baker behind Danny Macaroons, an artisan macaroon company based in Spanish Harlem, NYC. Dan, or “Danny Macaroons” if you’d like to call him (he’ll answer to both), first started baking macaroons 10 years ago. During a trip home from college to celebrate Passover, he asked his mom why they never had macaroons for the holiday. And she said, “Well, if you want them, you can make them.” So, instead of stomping off like I would, he actually made them. And he not only made them, but he got really good at it too.

Dan tested recipe after recipe, anything he could find online, tweaking ingredients and details until he came up with, what he believes to be, the best coconut macaroon you’ll ever have. (And certainly the best I’ve ever had, hands down. His salted caramel is out-of-this-world good.) Dan credits his creation to the texture of his coconut macaroons: they’re crunchy on the outside, yet moist and almost “fudgy” in the middle – a totally different and satisfying experience unlike most macaroons you might be used to eating.

Right now, Danny Macaroons is a one-man show with a new business that’s only been in operation for 10 months. But, even though the hours are long and the time for sleep seldom, he likes it that way – making, baking, packaging and delivering over 1000 coconut macaroons per week to various locations, from small artisan markets to well-known coffee shops, throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn and Long Island.¬† All hand-delivered via the trusty MTA NYC subways nonetheless.

So, go ahead, watch the video and try not to want to try his delicious coconut macaroons. I bet he can make you a convert. With 9 flavors to choose from and more in the works, there’s certainly a coconut macaroon flavor for you.

Current Flavors

• Plain
  • Chocolate Dipped
  • Salted Caramel
  • German Chocolate
  • Red Velvet
  • Roasted Almond
  • Double Chocolate
  • Chocolate Caramel
  • Bailey’s McRoon
  • Soon to come: Rice Pudding & Banana Bread Flavors

For more information, or to purchase Danny Macaroons online, click here!

Thanks for watching food. curated.! Happy Eating!

Comments

1. Ethan says:

Thank you Food Curated, for finally giving the world the behind-the-scenes scoop on Danny Macaroons. Been a fan of these treats since their inception, and i’m glad the rest of the world is finally experiencing them now, too!

2. Fran says:

Wow! I was on a coconut macaroon-making binge last year when I worked at Williams-Sonoma and frequently brought in my chocolate-dipped macaroons and the ladies told me I should sell them. I thought it was a good idea, but shame on me for not doing anything about it. Good for Danny! He’s made it work and his macaroons look scrumptious.

I love his engaging smile, and as always, you bring out his passion for what he loves doing. I continue to look forward to your next video! :)

Fran, you’re seriously one of my favorite fans. Smiles right back at you too! I’d love to try your macaroon recipe. How do I make that happen?

3. Alex says:

Thank you Food Curated. Now just relocate to L.A. so I can go to some of the places you have in your videos. :)

4. Mark Cohen says:

Dan,

I keep thinking you’re gonna get to fly me around on your private jet!
    Beats the hell out of being a recruiter!
    Never lose the passion…

Uncle Mark

5. Dave Ahdoot says:

I had the WORST macaroons at passover seder yesterday and I wish I’d seen this video a few days earlier. These look phenomenal. Woulda made Moses proud!

Dave – You don’t need a passover seder to have a reason to enjoy these. I hope you click the links to order some online. I wasn’t lying when I said they were the best darn coconut macaroon I’ve ever eaten!

6. Robin says:

These macaroons are incredible. The salted caramel are indescribably delicious. Thanks FoodCurated for letting the rest of the world in on the making of these tasty morsels. Yo, DannyMacaroon!

7. Warren says:

Bravo. Great video that captured the soul of the macaroon and its maker……they are delicious.

8. Ketzel says:

NOT FAIR! What’s a girl gotta do to get one, marooned out here in the Pacific Northwest!

9. Danny is without question one of my favorite people in the world. I’m so happy he got the Food Curated treatment.

10. May Wong-Lin says:

Dan,
    Nice video with good info! I still would like to know how long I can store the macaroons and can I place them in the freezer?
    I know the French macarons need to be eaten within 3 days and cannot go in the freezer.

BTW, I was wondering … is that a “Chinatown Ice Cream Factory” t-shirt you have on?? A distant cousin of mine (Susie Wong) used to be married to Phillip Seid. He and his brothers own that store on Bayard St. in N.Y.’s Chinatown.

Thanks!
    May Wong-Lin

11. Sissy says:

Just bought some and shared with friends and they are truly the best macaroons we ever ate. I am NOT paid by them nor do I know anyone at the company. Saw this on TV and just had to try and it’s Gluten free.

12. Fantastic work! Here is the type of facts which can be meant to be embraced all over the world wide web My High Heels. A sense of shame about the search engines like yahoo without longer setting this kind of set up upper! Come on above and also talk over with my website. Appreciate it Implies)