Amuse Bouche: Larry, The Meat Cutter, Walks Me Through a Side of Beef in One Take

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Apr 11, 2011

Just a little moment I wanted to share that didn’t make it into The Good Slaughter video story. I asked Larry Althiser of Larry’s Custom Meats to walk me through a side of beef. After the lesson, I was pretty sure he could do it with his eyes closed too. :)

And, while I’m here, I also want to say how overwhelmed I am with the positive feedback Larry’s story has been receiving. Thank you! I’m honored I got to help more of you connect to the real side of food. More stories in the works. Stay tuned…

Thanks for watching food. curated.! Happy Eating!

Comments

1. Rowena says:

My father was a butcher and Mr. Althiser reminds me of him. My father loves animals but he was also a proud butcher. He used to raise some of the animals he slaughtered himself. You did such a great job that I can really feel his passion for his work through your videos. Thank you so much for sharing and keep up the very good work!

2. Cherry says:

Gross! But also interesting. :)

3. Linda Bellefeuille says:

Larry is an exceptional man. He is a very kind, loving husband, father and brother. I am Larry’s sister. I have been to the processing plant, both the old and the new before he officially opened for business. He treats everything and everyone he encounters with respect. I’ve watche his knife “fly” while cutting meat also. He has a heart for the farming community-begged our grandpa as a teenager not to sell his farm and offered that he would help him run it. And for those who don’t know already, he is also starting a ministry out of his plant where he and people he butchers for can donate frozen meat to the local food pantry. I think this is incredible…truly giving back to the community. Love you Larry.

• Deborah says:

Linda,
      I was flipping through channels and came upon the show just as it started. I really didn’t think I would be able to watch it. I made up my mind that as a meat-eater I should be obligated to watch it, so I did. The film was extremely well done and at the point where your brother talks about how there is a time when the live animal changes to food that he is very much aware of I really identified with that part and something really clicked where I became “okay” with the slaugter process. I am very passionate about farming and really wish I could do more to help farming families. The only slaughter I saw was a goat in the mountains of the Dominican Republic. The animal was very well respected just as they are in your brothers plant. Please thank him very much for all that he does and for agreeing to do this short film.

Hi Deborah, I’m so glad that Larry’s story was able to change your mind about the slaughter process. We need to realize that there is a sense of dedication and pride for some processors out there, Larry being one of them. Thanks so much for your comment and for watching! I really appreciate it. I’ll make sure to send Larry your message.

4. Beth Boyle says:

I am so delighted to find this site and video. I use a butcher almost exactly like Larry in Sugar Grove, PA. His shop is called Coffaro’s Custom Butchering. I have used Coffaro’s for over 20 years. There is no place as professional and clean as Coffaros in the greater Western PA and NY area. I have been taking sheep and pigs there for processing for personal use for 20 years and also enjoy treating myself to some of the fine meats they have for sale as well. Joe Coffaro is tops when it comes to knowing meat. This video amazed me even the inside of the shop looks like Joe’s place. I mostly have my organically raised Scottish Blackface sheep done for my own table. Thanks so much for this honest video I first saw it on Huffington Post!

5. Hulagirrrl says:

This was very nice to watch actually. Reminds me of living in Germany where in most towns the Butchers close their stores on Mondays because that is when they slaughter. Larger cities do have slaughterhouses but Butchers bring their animals and in small towns the Butcher does it right behind his store. I love when I can walk into a store and order my foot and watch him cut it up and do it just the way I like and then I get it wrapped in paper not that horrible styrofoam.
    Anyway, I just came to visit your blog for the first time and find it very interesting. Thank you for posting. Aloha

6. Hulagirrrl says:

Also meant to say that Larry seems to be a very special kind of man who cares about the animals. That is heartwarming to see.

7. Allie says:

Excellent video! I am so glad you posted this- not all meat eaters are cruel and blood thirsty. Larry is the epitome of respect and care with animals that will be used to nourish us. Kudos to him for doing what he does and kudos to you for posting!!

8. Kathy says:

Larry,

I wish you were the standard of all butchers. Work well done!

9. Jeremy says:

Larry,

I don’t often leave comments on websites, but I just wanted to let you know that I have a lot of respect for you and wanted to thank you for making your video available.

You have set an incredible standard for all butchers, and we would be lucky if everyone were as conscientious as you.

Keep up the brilliant work!

Cheers,

10. Rogan says:

Please share this far and wide. Larry is doing good work for the right reasons, and Liza has done a beautiful job sharing his story. I hope that more people can see their way to respect when consuming the life of an animal. Especially at the slaughterhouses, in those final moments. Thanks to all involved.

11. stacy aldrich says:

Great video great man and a great business!

12. Sylvia says:

Thank you so much for this. I have long felt myself to be a hypocrite for eating and enjoying meat with no experience of how it gets to me. It is so easy to ignore that a living creature was killed for the meal I enjoy. This was a clear honest and honorable look at how meat comes to our tables. My appreciation to you and to Larry for allowing me a glimpse into the butchering process.