Taylor Shellfish: An Inside Look at an Oyster Legend

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Mar 2, 2011

Last week, my friend Nelly Wu of W&T Seafood called to tell me some sad news. Justin Taylor, the patriarch, humble farmer and founder of Taylor Shellfish Farms, had passed away. She called to find out if the family could share some of the footage we captured of him during our trip out West last year to document sustainable oyster and shellfish farming.  Mr. Taylor was 89-years-old when I interviewed him at his headquarters in Shelton, Washington. He had a rare energy. A true presence, albeit gentle. As if he’d seen and done it all, carrying his wisdom and life experience so effortlessly in our conversation. Anyhow, I wanted to share some of these moments with him during our interview, and show you a little bit about the great shellfish company he built…

So enjoy this behind-the-scenes peek into Taylor Shellfish Farm‘s oyster plant where tens of millions of oysters are prepared for market every year. See the shucking process, the grading and the inspecting that takes place to make sure good, healthy sustainable oysters make it to your plate every time. This is what Justin Taylor, more than anything, wanted to be remembered for: a good family run business, focused on quality, that he could be proud of.

Comments

1. Austin B. says:

Thanks for putting this together. I’ve been reading the news about Justin Taylor and he just seemed like an amazing man. He really did well by doing good.

2. Austin B. says:

3. Andy D. says:

Great video, thanks for sharing!

4. Andy D. says:

Great video, thanks for sharing!

5. A day in the tech world, so here we are in Reykjavic.
    Remember, your time is our money.The recession vacation bible schol themes has shown the stres that houses can put on anyone.
    Find out more about more such vacation habits of people iin multiple cuntries and continents.
    The cab turned off the highway 160. Most, if not thousands, of miles
    away. It said that we were 5600km from home and it would take to keep his second home looking great.

my web site vacations with kids

6. this says:

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome,
    nice written and come with almost all significant infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

7. Gail says:

Me ha llamado la atención bodas y que ofrezcan consejo útil y original.
    He leído diferentes post tuyos y son ciertamente interesantes.A partir de
    ahora leeré con detalle tus textos. Gracias y abrazos!!

Here is my homepage; peinados de novia (Gail)

8. Many people advertise affiliate marketing as something
    that can be started for fairly cheap. You should always keep yourself abreast with the latest happenings in the seo world.
    Article Source: in business is mostly about marketing, especially online.

my web blog texts from last night

9. Many battle with this problem and they are lopking for the proper solution. Also,
    Klinefelter’s males use a harder time at reading and
    writing assignments. Any minor curvture issue could rob you of valuable height.

10. In time the daughter grows old, but within her there is always
    a deep longing for her father. Whatever you do, do not get
    her a gift that is too forward. Moving interstate
    will cause you some stress although it will also be exciting.
    This awesome online optical store sells authentic
    sunglasses from top brands at incredibly low
    prices. For many retired persons, there are many financial solutions in the
    market, but the equity release solutions is said to be
    standing on a solid footing. The word stiletto, stilus in latin, is Italian in nature, and it means “any pointed instrument” or “stake”.

What users are, can not live without the NAS, when they have experienced the flexibility
    and usability of NAS finally give them.
    There are many maintenance procedures you can perform yourself but some things should be left to professionals.
    They look after each and every aspect about relocation and committed for trouble-free relocation. A good facility
    management company has an industry-specific
    expertise and performs its duties through proven methodologies, techniques and tools.

Here is my web-site :: Movers Houston Tx 77084

11. This pregnancy hormone is a bit more complex than most women think.
    When it came time to select the homeopathic h – CG product I would use for round two I was intrigued with the option of Homeopathic h – CG Pellets.

s better not to test instead of wasting your health insurance and money on these fake,
    choose nothing diets.

Also visit my site – hcg weightloss drops nz