SEE INSIDE: Bruce Cost’s Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale Factory

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Mar 7, 2011

“My ginger ale being natural right now is 50% more expensive because we’re giving them this natural product with real ginger.”

Meet Bruce Cost, the founder of Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale by Bruce Cost, an unfiltered, pure cane sugar ginger ale made in Brooklyn, NY. I started seeing this product pop-up in my local artisan food shops last summer. Being a big ginger ale fan, I was curious to try this interesting looking chunky version of what I’m normally used to. Holding the clear bottle, you can see chopped up pieces of real ginger settled at the bottom. I was intrigued (Bruce calls this his main selling point). Turn it upside down and the ginger pieces launch into soda space, giving you this drink that is just unlike any ginger ale experience I’ve ever had. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure if I’d like it. But I did. I really liked it. It gave my ginger ale a third dimension – something to chew on. And, it was just so…ginger-y. The ginger ale flavor was far more pronounced than in any ginger drink, ginger beer, ginger cocktail I’ve had. And now, I drink the stuff all the time!

So, of course, I had to go see the operation for myself, meet the maker and discover how fresh ginger ale gets made. Enjoy this short video tour inside Bruce Cost’s Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale factory in East Williamsburg. For being only a little over a year old, I’d say it’s pretty impressive to see the number of markets and distributors that already carry his product. And Bruce isn’t shy about sharing his future plans, he’s eventually hoping to see his creation “in every country around the world.”

Current list of flavors (with a new flavor being worked on right now): Original Ginger, Jasmine Green Tea and Pomegranate w/Hibiscus. All of these flavors are very good, but I especially like the Jasmine Green Tea, there’s just something so floral and elegant about it. Try it!

Thanks for watching food. curated.! Happy drinking!

Comments

1. Mark says:

I’m alway’s on the lookout for real ginger ginger ale. I found one made in the Carolinas called Blenheim but it is not available locally, but they sell a version that is hot/spicy. Is Bruce’s hot?

It’s totally HOT. Just so different in the best way and it’s popularity here is growing fast. You should see if your local artisan market can source it.

2. Mark says:

3. Rebecca says:

Ginger ale has always been a favorite in our household! Love this and I’m crossing my fingers and hoping there is some here in Portland! Thanks for the video, Liza – always enjoy seeing how things are put together.

4. Rebecca says:

5. Gwen Nagano says:

“Ginger probably grown in volcanic soil” Ginger from China? Hardly organic. No thanks!

Hi Gwen. I did ask Bruce about this. He said that he’s going to look into using organic ginger in the future, but for right now, as a start up company, it would drive his costs so high that markets would not be able to afford the price of his product – putting him out of business. I guess there’s always a give and take when making decisions like this at the get-go.

6. Gwen Nagano says:

7. A thoroughly enjoyable film. I shall link to this page.

8. A thoroughly enjoyable film. I shall link to this page.

9. Seth Flesher says:

I love spicy ginger ale. My favorite is Stewart’s Ginger Ale. Primarily because I’ve found most of the other spicy ales have such a gingery flavor that they taste medicinal. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.

If you like jasmine tea, you should go to a specialty tea shop and buy “Jasmine Pearls”. They are hand rolled tiny balls of green tea and jasmine that open up when you pour boiling water over them and let them steep. The Jasmine Tea produced is delicious plain or with honey [personal favorite]. They aren’t cheap at about $100/pound. But I calculated the cost of using tea bags and they weren’t that much more expensive. There are other, cheaper jasmine teas, but I can never quite tell what is in them.

You have a great program and are obviously very talented. It will be fun to watch as you become a bigger and bigger presence in media over the coming years.

Hi Seth :) Thanks so much for stopping by and lending some of your personal suggestions. Really glad to meet a new story lover out there. Have you tried Bruce Cost’s Ginger Ale yet? I keep bumping into more and more people who drink it on a normal basis out here. Anyhow, thanks for your sweet note. These stories mean so much to me, so I’m glad you enjoy them!

10. Seth Flesher says:

11. Seth Flesher says:

Hi Liza,
    Long time between emails! I have tried Bruce Cost’s Ginger Ale and it is now my favorite. I like putting it in the freezer until it forms sort of a “slushy” and then drinking it on a hot day. One word of warning: you must keep your eye on the bottle when it is in the freezer. If it freezes too much it will explode and spray your freezer with ginger ale! So be careful when you open the bottle sometimes the soda begins to bubble over, so be prepared. However it is delicious when drunk this way, or any way actually.

I was right, your show is wonderful and you will be a big talent!

12. Karl Duddy says:

Thanks for your useful article. Other thing is that mesothelioma cancer is generally brought on by the inhalation of material from mesothelioma, which is a extremely dangerous material. It can be commonly noticed among staff in the construction industry that have long contact with asbestos. It is also caused by moving into asbestos covered buildings for some time of time, Family genes plays a huge role, and some individuals are more vulnerable to the risk than others.

13. Gretchen says:

Can you put these in Whole Foods in Nashville?! Nowhere near here sells them and I want to get this ginger ale all the time. A friend of mine bought one somewhere else and brought it back to Nashville with her and now I want them all the time. Definitely the best ginger ale I’ve ever had.

14. Anonymous says:

I was recommended this web site by my cousin.
    I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

15. katty says:

I am a ginger ale lover been for a long time .walk into this store and the bottle caught my eye so old fashion I said tried it and been buying it ever since this is a wonderful product I now have so many friend and co-workers who ask me to get them 1
    Y