My Friend’s Mustard: A Whole Grain Beer Mustard Worth Spreading

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Feb 9, 2011

“My face is in people’s fridges that I don’t know. I think that’s kinda cool.”

Meet Anna Wolf, the founder & owner behind My Friend’s Mustard, an artisan beer mustard crafted in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Anna, a “mostly-self-taught” cook claims that her mustard company was never really planned. After quitting her job in advertising, she found herself cooking more and more, and on a whim one day decided to play with a recipe for whole grain beer mustard. The end result turned out so good, she started to share it with friends, then friends of friends, holding tasting parties, and tweaking the recipe along the way until it was perfect. Through the encouragement of a close pal, she decided to turn her hobby into a small artisan food business, and in August 2010 Anna introduced her spicy handmade mustard recipes to artisan shops and restaurants in Manhattan and Brooklyn:

Jalapeño IPA Mustard Made with Sixpoint Bengali Tiger IPA, pickled jalapeños, and a unique blend of spices with a kick!

Spicy Brown Ale Mustard Made with Sixpoint Brownstone Brown Ale and a warm spice blend with a hint of brown sugar sweetness.

So take a peek into My Friend’s Mustard’s production process and tiny kitchen inside The Palace Cafe, and hear what Anna has to say about the magic of beer and mustard. You can purchase the mustard at a number of local shops listed below:

Brooklyn

Manhattan

Thanks for watching food. curated. Happy eating!

Comments

1. John Rumery says:

Another great story,,,,in a long line of great stories. Slathering this on a pork chop…..wow..

Someday, would love to have Food Curated visit Grand Rapids, MI!

John, my dream is to cross the country and tell all the small artisan food stories… I’m sure you have some great folks where you live! Thanks for checking out MFM’s video! I hope one day soon you can order some online!

• Antje says:

:My spouse and i still can’t quite think that I could alwyas be one of those reading through the important suggestions found on your blog. My family and I are sincerely thankful for the generosity and for giving me potential to pursue my personal chosen profession path. Thank you for the important information I managed to get from your web-site.

2. John Rumery says:

Someday, would love to have Food Curated visit Grand Rapids, MI!

3. Anna Wolf says:

Thanks for watching, John. I had such a great time making this video with Liza! I’m a Michigan native and hope to get some My Friend’s Mustard out your way soon. Big ups to GR. Love me some Founders.

• John Rumery says:

Founder’s, Bells, New Holland….MI is a mecca of great beer! Now we need the mustard. Let me know if I can help..I know some small specialty stores in the area…. jr at grilladelic dot com

• Anna Wolf says:

Glad you all enjoyed the video! And as a response to John in MI, I’m also a big fan of Bell’s and New Holland. Went to Kalamazoo College and was introduced to good craft beer in the ‘zoo. If good beer had never crossed my path I suppose I wouldn’t be making mustard with it today….so cheers to craft beer!

4. Anna Wolf says:

• John Rumery says:

• Anna Wolf says:

5. Jeroen Daelmans says:

What an interesting story, it’s great to see that she is so enthusiastic. Her mustard will be a great friend to many meals. I only wish I could buy it Holland.

6. Jeroen Daelmans says:

7. What a fun inspirational story! You have me a beer. And she uses GOOD beer! I love it.

8. What a fun inspirational story! You have me a beer. And she uses GOOD beer! I love it.

9. chris says:

Very cool. I met Anna at the Craft Beer Fest NYC in September. I’m a huge mustard snob, and My Friend’s Mustard is fantastic. Great piece.

• Anna Wolf says:

Hey Chris. Nice to “see” you again. Thanks for watching. Keep your eyes peeled for new flavors soon!

Hey Chris! So fun to see you here and not on Twitter :) Do tell more about your mustard snobbery. I like to know things like that…like your top 3 or 4 mustard brands we don’t know about! Thanks for watching. Anna’s mustard is the new fave in my fridge.

• chris says:

Good morning… I look forward to the artisan mustards that come along in the spring from our farmer’s markets. Until then I get by on a few big brands… For spicy brown, Kosciusko… A good whole grain that I dig is Inglehoffer’s Stone Ground, and their Sweet Hot Kicks ass.

A good, nearly impossible to find mustard is Monastery Mustard. I was lucky enough to get my hands on it once, very good, and it has a great story. Oh, and Hempzels is a good old-school, that’s usually at Whole Foods.

10. chris says:

• Anna Wolf says:

• chris says:

11. Charles says:

Anna, we miss you at the Habitito! We moved to within stumbling’s distance of Eastern District, so we have an even closer supply of deliciousness. I’m still scarfing solo, hoping for a GF version (Cider Mustard?) so Caitlin can join in eating this by the spoonful. Best of luck!

12. Charles says:

13. joe says:

Your videos are great! I got to try this mustard, the jalapeno mustard sounds awesome.

14. joe says:

15. Anna Wolf says:

Thanks for watching, Joe!

16. Anna Wolf says:

Thanks for watching, Joe!

17. That’s super cool. I’ve heard of wine mustard but not beer mustard. I’m sold. Definitely need to pick up some of this!

18. That’s super cool. I’ve heard of wine mustard but not beer mustard. I’m sold. Definitely need to pick up some of this!

19. Craft Beer says:

Beer and mustard go so great together. Looks awesome.

20. Braden says:

I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.