The Future of Seafood: Farming Siberian Sturgeon For More Than Just Caviar

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Feb 2, 2011

“Our caviar has held up very well against the competition, I’ll say that…”

Meet Jim Michaels, the Program Manager of Mote Marine Laboratory’s Siberian Sturgeon Program in Sarasota, FL. Jim has been working for over a decade on an eco-friendly and sustainable solution for growing farm-raised sturgeon in the United States. A solution to meet the growing demand for caviar around the world, and one that they hope will help take pressure off over-fishing the endangered wild sturgeon stocks in the Caspian Sea.

But, the recirculating aquaculture technology Mote is developing for their sturgeon program also serves a greater purpose. As Jim will tell you, it’s not just for the caviar. The hope with this program is to eventually drive down the cost of the technology so that this type of farming can be applied to other species of fish, and encourage more farmed seafood production within our borders.

Recirculating aquaculture systems clean and recycle the water, allowing aquaculture to use less water and be more environmentally friendly. Instead of bringing in large amounts of new water, recirculating systems can use special filtration to clean up the existing water.¬† At Mote, our unique recirculating systems allow us to re-use 100 percent of our saltwater and most of our fresh water. Recirculating systems at Mote allow us to raise fish far from any large body of water, and help us keep our fish farming “green.”

So enjoy my in-depth educational piece on the future of farmed seafood. If any of you are interested in trying Mote’s Siberian sturgeon or caviar, you can find a list of purveyors from NYC, FL and the West Coast on their website. The fact that many well-known caviar houses, like Petrossian, have agreed to sell their product says a lot about the taste and quality. I, for one, can vouch for it myself.

And one last note, Mote is ALWAYS looking for new seafood markets and restaurants to sell their farm-raised sturgeon to. So be sure to contact them if you or if anyone you know are interested.

Cooking ideas and recipes to come…

Thanks for watching food. curated.! Happy eating!

Comments

1. Great video Liza! I never knew that Sturgeon take 5-7 years to mature, that’s quite an investment by Mote. Hopefully more programs like this will help wild stock to recover.

Muchas gracias! I did not know any of this either, believe me. So fun that food can still be so fascinating. I really applaud Mote for what they are doing. We definitely need solutions for the growing demand for seafood, and green solutions are the best type.

2. Great video Liza! I never knew that Sturgeon take 5-7 years to mature, that’s quite an investment by Mote. Hopefully more programs like this will help wild stock to recover.

3. Liz says:

Nice work, Liza!

Great to see fish other than tilapia being grown in an aquaculture system.
    Also, sturgeon are saltwater fish right? So that’s another unique aspect to this system.

I’m curious about what they feed the sturgeon.

Did you get a chance to taste the meat?

I tried the caviar, but not the meat. I’m trying to get The Lobster Place to source their sturgeon from them. Sturgeon is a fresh water fish. Not saltwater. Interesting no?

4. Liz says:

Nice work, Liza!

Great to see fish other than tilapia being grown in an aquaculture system.

I’m curious about what they feed the sturgeon.

Did you get a chance to taste the meat?

5. guillermo rubke says:

thank you so very much.we enjoyed your interviews.please feel free to come and visit any time.

6. guillermo rubke says:

7. Pete says:

Hey Lookin good brother great to see you doing what you love to do! Send me some fish!!!

8. Pete says:

9. T.A.Wyner says:

Greetings…I am happy to have found you. We are interested in sturgeon and its caviar for our green market in Palm Beach Gardens as well as our Slow Food Gold & Treasure Coast chapter. Our season opening is October 9th……….we very much want to begin our season with your products.
    We find it most important to educate our enthusiastic members & market patrons…………so we would love to have a rep of your operation be our guest “chef” to answer questions about your product and demonstrate proper serving and/or prep of you products.

Thanks in advance…………..