Samaki Smokehouse & The Art of Cold-Smoked Salmon

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Apr 14, 2010

Some people just like working with seafood…

Meet Simon Marrian, the president and owner of Samaki Smoked Fish in Port Jervis, NY. He’s a self-taught fish smoker who began selling cold-smoked fish to upscale safari lodges as a young man in Africa.

I sought him out in Port Jervis because I know he understands there’s an art to smoking salmon. And I know this because I eat his product, a lot. To me, his smoked salmon tastes like no other salmon out there on the market, and what I learned is that it has a lot to do with their hands-on process. Unlike other smoked fish houses that use preservatives and fish coloring in their product, Simon’s philosophy is that you don’t need much to achieve a good thing, just a little brown sugar and salt for curing, oak smoke, a homemade brick kiln and a really, really fresh piece of fish.

Samaki Smoked Fish is proud of their all-natural product line that also includes smoked trout, sable, whitefish, and cold-smoked yellowfin tuna. And if this doesn’t speak for itself, you can find their product front and center at some of the premiere seafood counters in NYC: Russ & Daughters, The Lobster Place, Barney Greengrass, Zabar’s and Agata & Valentina. (Or across the country in specialty markets in Boston, Washington, D.C. and California.)

So enjoy this peek into a very special family-run fine smoked fish operation, and see for yourself where good food comes from. And for more information on Samaki Smoked Fish, please visit their website: http://www.samakismokedfish.com

Samaki’s Smoked Salmon Flavors:

• Irish Organic Smoked Salmon (my favorite)
  • Eastern Nova Smoked Atlantic Salmon
  • Pastrami Smoked Salmon
  • Vodka Dill Smoked Salmon
  • Lemon Pepper Smoked Salmon
  • Kippered Salmon
  • Double Cured Smoked Salmon

Thanks for watching food. curated. Happy eating!

Comments

1. Fran says:

There’s nothing — Nothing — like a good bagel and lox sliced paper thin from Russ & Daughters and seeing this profile, it’s easy to see why it’s so so so good. It definitely looks like a lot of love and care go into the process.

Thanks for bringing us this video.

2. Fran says:

Thanks for bringing us this video.

3. Anthony Marrian says:

Well done Bro! Good job!!

4. Anthony Marrian says:

Well done Bro! Good job!!

5. Elizabeth Mattes says:

We at Samaki love the video- We can’t thank you enough Liza! You did an amazing job- Best- Simon, Jason and Liz

6. Elizabeth Mattes says:

7. Jonathan Morshead says:

Do you remember me?! Glad to know you are still alive and have such a thriving business. I am in Ireland filleting Organic Irish salmon for Ummera Smoked Products! Kenya seems a long time ago!

• Jambo Jonathan! Of course we remember you, you silly goose! You remain and will always be one of our FAVORITE people /friends ever ever. We think of you all the time. ( We do buy Irish organic salmon every week from Marine Harvest. It is our top of the line product.) PLEASE COME AND SEE US, we have plenty of room in Westbrookville NY and would so love to see you. Are you married? Do you have children? EVERYONE WELCOME. This is such a blessing. Much much love, Libba

E mail : Libbamarrian@hotmail.com Tel; ( 845 ) 754 7359.

8. Jonathan Morshead says:

E mail : Libbamarrian@hotmail.com Tel; ( 845 ) 754 7359.

9. Com see us! Miss you, Love Libb

10. Com see us! Miss you, Love Libb

11. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and I enjoy learning about this topic. If possible, as you gain facts, please update this blog with more information. I have found it enormously useful.

12. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and I enjoy learning about this topic. If possible, as you gain facts, please update this blog with more information. I have found it enormously useful.

13. Edu says:

what a great video…Samaki also means ” Fish” in swahili, so, thats a plus :)

14. Edu says:

what a great video…Samaki also means ” Fish” in swahili, so, thats a plus :)

15. mich says:

It is really rare to find an expert in whom you may have some confidence. In the world nowadays, nobody actually cares about showing others exactly how in this matter. How lucky I am to have found such a wonderful site as this. It’s people like you who make a genuine difference in this world through the concepts they share.

16. mich says:

17. Order Caviar says:

We like businesses that educate about gourmet food. Gourmet food items are quickly beggining to be a choice product of wealthy families with online food stores. Elite restaurants have also shown increased gourmet product buying from online gourmet stores also. Gourmet products bought online will go on to grow.

18. kdk says:

I have truly missed the smoked tuna my former employer purchased from Samaki. It is truly the best food to pass my lips. Thank you for showing everyone this fabulous process

19. I like it whenever people come together and share thoughts.

Great blog, keep it up!

20. Nancy says:

Inspiring story there. What happened after? Thanks!

My web blog: video seo (Nancy)