It’s Never Too Late to Make Pizza: Paulie Gee’s

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Apr 26, 2010

“Life is not a dress rehearsal…”

Meet Paulie Gee, the new owner and pizza maker of Paulie Gee’s pizzeria in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. I wanted to share Paulie’s story because I find it inspiring that at any moment in time you can make your dreams happen…even at the age of 56. For Paulie, making pizza is the perfect retirement plan, an achievement “beyond his wildest dreams” – and I hope you enjoy discovering why.

To get your pizza-craving hands on Paulie Gee’s uber-delicious, secretly sauced brick-oven pie, you can visit his website or check out the full menu on my go-to pizza blog, Slice.

My favorites off the menu:

• The Arugula Shmoogala: Italian tomatoes, baby arugula, olive oil, sea salt, shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Greenpointer: fior di Latte, baby arugula, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Delboy: fior di latte, Italian tomatoes, soppressata picante, Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Regina: fior di latte, Italian tomatoes, Pecorino Romano, fresh basil
  • King Harry: fior di latte, Italian tomatoes, prosciutto di Parma, Pecorino Romano, fresh basil
  • Parma D’or: fior di latte, baby arugula, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, prosciutto di Parma, shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano

Happy eating! And thanks for watching food. curated.

Comments

1. Andrew says:

YAY! I was wondering when you were going to post about a pizza maker. Paulie Gee’s looks like the real deal. And the slow motion at the beginning… it made my mouth water. Very tempted to go their before your event tonight. If not, definitely sometime this week.

2. Andrew says:

3. clarkityclark says:

Awesome! My new favorite Food Curated!

4. clarkityclark says:

Awesome! My new favorite Food Curated!

5. Merry says:

Really beautiful.

6. Merry says:

Really beautiful.

7. joanna says:

I am not a pizza lover but Paulie Gee has made me crave his and only his pizza. Not only is he an amazing person who is actually throwing around pies the environment in his restaurant is beautiful and everything is so well thought out. So happy he is in Greenpoint!

8. joanna says:

9. Pizzalicious says:

HEY! great video! I can’t wait to go to Paulie Gee’s!

10. Pizzalicious says:

HEY! great video! I can’t wait to go to Paulie Gee’s!

11. Steven Ring says:

I worked with Paulie G at AT&T. Great to see someone doing what almost all of us drudgery guys want to be doing. I may make a special trip to Greenpoint just to shake his hand.

12. Steven Ring says:

13. Rand() says:

Is the pizza edge edible? It looks burned to me… :/ What I hate on pizza is burned edge/bottom and ingredients economy (just bread)…

14. Rand() says:

15. amanda says:

no worries…the crust has the PERFECT char on it…it does not tase burnt :) don’t forget to try the dessert pie with nutella and fresh fruit on top! so delishhhh

16. amanda says:

17. Best Pizza in NYC…hands down. There is truly something magical about those tomatoes!

18. Best Pizza in NYC…hands down. There is truly something magical about those tomatoes!

19. Fran says:

How inspiring. It’s great to see someone realize his dreams when he was ready. And that pizza! I’d love some right now.

Thanks Fran. What I learned is that you just have to GO FOR IT. Dreams don’t happen without focus. His pies also happen to be damn good too!

20. Fran says:

21. janiejaner says:

Hold out for the gorgeous shot of the arugula pie at about 4:50…what a great story! Drove by the place last night (after dinner, unfortunately) and can’t wait to get back–hungry.

22. janiejaner says:

23. Adam says:

Such a great, great video and story, Liza. I knew you were working on this one and was wondering when it was coming. Like Paulie’s dream and restaurant, it was worth waiting for.

24. Adam says:

25. you could be wrong on this i have found a vid about it see for your self http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5OO_ASc1b0

26. you could be wrong on this i have found a vid about it see for your self http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5OO_ASc1b0

27. gbp says:

Good video, can you upload to YouTube ?

28. gbp says:

Good video, can you upload to YouTube ?

29. Matt says:

I’m sure you’ve seen this, but making pizza lends itself to great videos… have you checked out Anthony Mangieri’s video at Una Pizza Napoletana? http://www.unapizza.com/ I miss that place.

30. Matt says:

31. DougK says:

A beautiful man, with a beautiful family, fulfilling a beautiful dream!

32. DougK says:

A beautiful man, with a beautiful family, fulfilling a beautiful dream!

33. trish Bell says:

Paulie! Your dream came true…I sure know what it’s like to follow ones dream…now if you do radio or Comcast cable tv advertising, use my voice talents…..I’ll nail the passion!
    Now we need to get Boz to visit your place!

Caoi’

34. trish Bell says:

Now we need to get Boz to visit your place!

Caoi’

35. Paul M says:

I used to work with Paulie G years ago in his previous career. This video is very inspiring, I can’t wait to go try the pizza next time I’m in NY. Very unique style, that sauce does look good, the sauce makes the pizza

36. Paul M says:

37. jwoww maxim says:

hey peeps! i’m in the university of georgia studying acting. I super like Jwoww, she could be a great actress…

• DougK says:

I’d rather enjoy a Paulie Gee’s pie! To find out for yourself, quit school and come to Brooklyn as fast as you can!

38. jwoww maxim says:

• DougK says:

39. Jeremy says:

Love your videos! Samaki and this one rock!
    Haven’t been to Paulees yet!!!

Cheers and happy cooking

Hi Jeremy!!! Thanks for the note!! Yeah, Samaki is one of my faves too along with Paulie’s. Let me know if you ever make it out to Greenpoint. Would love to meet up!

40. Jeremy says:

Love your videos! Samaki and this one rock!
    Haven’t been to Paulees yet!!!

Cheers and happy cooking

41. novicetired says:

this is just one of the things that constantly remind me of my dream adventures with food. thanks for the inspiration!