Shit-Talking & Sausage Making: Just Another Day at The Meat Hook

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Mar 8, 2010

Meet Brent Young and Ben Turley, two parts to the butchering trio that make up The Meat Hook, a sustainably focused meat shop in Brooklyn, NY.

I spent the day with the two friends (and roommates) to find out all about their obsession with sausages – an art form they are quickly becoming famous for in their local neighborhood. Using pork, beef and lamb from whole animals, they’ve amassed a rotating selection of about 30 unique and traditional sausages that are made fresh every weekday.

From “classy” to “trashy”, it’s a way to express their creativity as butchers; but, more importantly, a way to annoy and shit-talk each other to no end. And that’s the fun of it. Watch and see…

**FYI – No one was hurt in the filming of this video. Well, on second thought, maybe Brent…if I had to guess. :)

Classy Meat Hook Sausages:

• Red Wine & Rosemary
  • Garlic
  • Toasted Fennel
  • Red Chorizo
  • Green Chorizo

Trashy Meat Hook Sausages:

• Bacon-Cheeseburger
  • Long Dong Bud
  • Taco Dog
  • Banh Mi Dog
  • Spicy Big Bite

For more information on their sausages & meats, visit their website or follow The Meat Hook on Twitter: @themeathook

Thanks for watching food. curated. Happy eating!

Comments

1. Sherry says:

I have such a crush on Ben and can think of a lot of things I’d like to do with his sausage.

2. Great to see the boys from The Meat Hook. Now I’m planning a trek to pick up some Green Chorizo + and, OMG, the Banh Mi Dog… Thanks for another fun and enlightening video!

3. Chris says:

I have eaten four of the five “trashy” sausages and exactly none of the “classy” ones.
    I need to clean up my act.

4. Jen says:

This video is hysterical. It’s an excellent advertisement for why you should get yourself over to The Meat Hook and check out the sausage, whether you like your men, I meant meat, classy or trashy. I think I’m going today.

5. JSun says:

I’ve been waiting for you to hit the Hook, great vid!

6. Michelle says:

Another great job Liza! You’ve got skills! Fedex me soma that green chorizo!! j/k.

7. Julia says:

Brilliant! Great video and great guys! Well done.

8. I have never been so optimistic about the future of grubbing, throw down, goddammit– just make me some REAL sausage that is fit to eat in my life. This is the shit. And when you cook it, it actually smells good, not like a fly infested southeastern va. pork porcessing manure pit!

Thanks for all the kick ass responses! Glad to entertain with this one :) I love when I can really bring true personalities out and support the good food they make. Hope you all visit The Meat Hook soon if you haven’t been!

9. Gail says:

I should also add — my reply was in keeping with the “trash talking” tone of this sausage making session. Hope that added to the passion of these meatmaking moments.

10. Great video, Liza. As another culinary videographer, once in a while I see a really well-made video that tells a story so well, and I say to myself, “Damn, I wish I’d made THAT video!”. This was definitely one of them. :-)

11. Long time no see Bo Lord, and welcome a return visit to my blog oh!

12. Great job Lisa, I have sampled three types of MeatHook sausages, and can say they are a big hit. The guys are very creative, and seem to have a passion for what they do. Success always follows those ingredients. We sharpen the knives that Tom, Ben and Brent use to make those fantastic sausages, and we are excited to be a business partner with a “cutting edge” company such as the MeatHook!

Ha ha. “Cutting Edge” what a pun! Thanks for your feedback. I love their story. Especially since Brent & Ben don’t get featured as much as Tom…it was cool to hand them over the mic and see what they’d do!
      BTW – I’d love to learn more about your cutlery biz!

13. Drew Falkman says:

This is great. These guys are hilarious – and even without making sausage jokes. Such enjoyable filmmaking…

14. steve fried says:

hey liza, liked the segment. im going there tomorrow with chef Sara Jenkins as we are pickin up a couple of pork shoulders to make her famous Porchetta so we can show the world and all the home cooks out there how they can make it at home. I hear the place is pretty wild. cant wait to check it out. check out Beyond the Dish on NYC TV Channel 25 launching in May at 9:30 pm thurs and 2:30 pm Sat. will run 2 months. you will see the Porchetta and The Meat Hook segment at some point.

Nice job..al the best…steve

15. crazy dogs says:

I suggest you find out these dogs! They’re hilarious! Go to this page: Funny Dog

16. These are the craziest dogs I ever seen! You must check it out! Click this link: Funniest Dogs

17. hey there, I found some good articles you may well be liked to see. Please stop by: Click here

18. Jeremy says:

Great, gosh these guy’s are funny!
    The bahn mi are going on some Vietnamese baguettes, that is my next project!

Good work!

19. Omg, the names of your sausages are classic. Do you ship to the west coast? My wife loves the sausage. ;)

20. google says:

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not
    even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, amazing
    site!

21. Chino says:

Awe, I knew Brent from back in Pittsburgh! He was a such a nice funny guy back then, late 90s era, and I’m so happy to see him happy and successful now.

22. Candelaria says:

Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this site.

my web-site; diy home 3d theater (Candelaria)