Bacon Marmalade: Bacony Goodness by Mistake

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Mar 19, 2010

There is such a thing as a good mistake…

Meet Chef Ross Hutchison, the founder of Bacon Marmalade, an “unctuous” creation born out of a mistake. It’s a mistake that I can only think fate had a hand in creating, because I now cannot imagine a food world without it. To describe it would be tough, you just have to taste it. It’s bacon, but so much more… And Ross believes he truly stumbled on way to “make bacon better.” And after tasting it, it’s hard not to agree. (It certainly makes my sandwiches taste better!)

Ross and his girlfriend Joanna Cybulski launched Bacon Marmalade out of their small apartment during the summer of 2009 in Greenpoint, Brooklyn – a launch that happened through the urging of good friends who greedily wanted it bottled on a weekly basis. Bacon Marmalade already has a steady and loyal, if not underground, following.

I happened to discover Bacon Marmalade at a bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn at about 1am in the morning. A girl I was hanging out with just pulled it out of her bag and started eating it right there in front of me, with her drink straw, and practically forced me to try it! As soon as the “marmalade” hit my tongue, I had an epiphany, a moment of bacon enlightenment, and I was hooked.

So, enjoy this story about luck, because sometimes in the kitchen…that’s all it is.

To get your hands on a jar of Bacon Marmalade, visit: http://www.baconmarmalade.com. Or send an email to bacon@baconmarmalade.com It costs $9 for a 4oz bottle – think of it as a treasure. Chef Ross and Joanna can also be found selling at The Greenpoint Food Market and The Brooklyn Lyceum Market. Also, this Sunday, they are competing in The Brooklyn Brunch Experiment at The Bell House. You’ll be sure to taste their Bacon Marmalade there…

Thanks for watching food. curated. Happy eating!

Comments

1. zenchef says:

That sounds so good! I can only imagine the smell in the apartment.
    Are they looking for a roommate? :)

2. joann says:

yay ross and joanna!
    the best part are the bacon mouth farts in the end. hysterical.

3. Eric says:

Great idea. Can’t wait to try it.

4. Looks so good I made a whole post just to link to it. I love how excited he gets about being able to share this with others! :)

5. Aaron says:

I’ve put bacon marmalade on everything since I got a few jars last week. It was excellent on pizza, baked potatoes, on a tomato sandwich, grilled cheese, in tomato soup, on butter pecan ice cream, wrapped up inside chicken taquitos, and even on a spoon! But my favorite so far was rosemary and cream cheese scrambled eggs with bacon marmalade and bacon marmalade with goat cheese on crackers!

6. Bruce Birch says:

Man, I love these videos. Bacon Marmalade rocks.

7. Linda Parr says:

Have you thought of putting this in bigger jars? This little jar wouldn’t last ver long thanks

I did ask Chef Ross that question, and right now they want to keep it small. It’s so RICH like a caviar that they wanted to give it that special feel :) And you’re right, it doesn’t last very long. You totally eat it very quickly. It’s an addiction people have.

8. Dion says:

I may be the luckiest foodie on the planet. Chef Hutch was a dorm buddy in college and my roommate for some years after school. In a 100-year-old dorm without air conditioning, we thought we were royalty when he’d work magic with just an electric skillet. In the house, I’d awake to these Dickens Ghost-of-Christmas-Present spreads when he’d be up at 4 in the morning trying out some culinary dream he just woke up from.

You’ve caught his obsession with creativity. He is truly a creative genius, and I don’t use that word lightly. And most of all, you really captured his generosity. Chef Hutch is driven above all else to share tastes, experiences, knowledge, camaraderie, and everything that makes the food experience so unique. What an outstanding feature. Thank you so much.

And oh yeah, Bacon Marmalade is CRAZY good. I’m looking into a transfusion.

9. justcooknyc says:

hmm, i’ll have to track this down. funny about the girl just pulling it out to eat at a bar.

10. byron says:

only in america… i’m certainly curios and want to try it but why do i have the feeling this is nothing more than some sort of marketing hoax. (south africa)

Hey there Byron! I will tell you, it’s no marketing ploy. It’s totally real and authentic. Real homemade goodness…that’s killer delicious. I don’t think I would have chosen to film with them if I didn’t believe in what they did. You should email Chef Ross and see if he’d ship you a jar to South Africa. :) Thanks for commenting by the way. Nice to hear from good folks abroad! -Liza

• byron says:

a friend is going to order a few, box it up and send me me a jar.
      Heard it on a radio station today… tell Chef Ross its gone golbal :)

11. Great video Liza! The next one should be showing all of the different ways that people use bacon marmalade at home. Look forward to getting my hands on a jar of this.

12. German says:

Hallo wircklich geilen Weblog betreibst du. Ich selber habe auch schon l√§nger eine eigene homepage hochgeladen, n√§hmlich eine Suchmaschiene. Momentan noch erreichbar auf http://beta.jerome.de . W√§hre sch√∂n von dir wenn du mir berichtest wie du sie findest und was noch schlecht daran ist. Ein Redesign kommt erst im laufe der Woche noch dazu. Sch√∂nes Wochenende Р345zhf4

13. Been looking for this article for long time ago and finally found here. thanks for sharing this post. appreciate!

14. Garie says:

Ross can you send some to australia for me to try?

15. Martha says:

Schmear some on a piece of ripe Fontina Val d’Aosta…it’s a pretty fabulous accompaniment to a Negroni!

16. DPA says:

Albeit I did not have your creation on its lonesome….. I ordered a pizza at Paulie Gee’s in Greenpoint that featured bacon marmalade, it was epic. Keep making delicious wares!

17. Robert @ Norway says:

Dear lord! Umctious does’nt even begin to cover it!
    I live in Norway, and we sure ain’t got any over here. But inspired by this I made me an inspired one, and I almost foodgasmed. Just had some on waffles, and it was a perfect match more than anything I ever tasted.
    And if my homemade stuff tastes like this, Chef Ross’s must be… at least unctious! =)
    Got to get me a vacation to the States and Brooklyn after seeing this. I’m gonna get obsessive.

Thanks for this vid, it made my day, week and probably at least year ;-)

• Robert in Norway… more than anything we like to inspire people to create! we hope you do get in contact with us if you ever do come to the states. We have shipped to peoples hotel rooms while on vacation ;) Happy eating! ross+joanna

Robert, I”m impressed you made a personal batch…and for waffles to boot! That is awesome. You and Chef Ross need to meet one day and compare!

18. John James says:

Excellent piece. I have boookmarked your blog for future reference.
    Damn, awesome website. I actually came across this on Bing, and I am happy I did. I will definately be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the posts here and bring a bit more to the table, but am just absorbing as much info as I can at the moment.

Hey hey John! Great to hear from ya! I have to say, you picked a good video to start with. I hope you order a jar from Ross online. It’ll make your tongue to flips and then some. It’s soooo good. And, yes, stop by soon and say hello.

19. Kira says:

Man i want a jar :D

20. BACON MARMALADE AND BEER TASTING

WHEN: Next Thursday August 12th 6-8pm

WHERE: SLOPE SUDS SALON AND SPA
    at our Finest Thursdays Event – enjoy 10% off Finest Pigments Organic color, Thursday only!!

WHY: Because we love the locals annnd we love Beer and Bacon!

SPONSORED BY:
    BACON MARMALADE & GRAB

FIND US AT 462 7TH AVENUE (AT 16TH ST)
    OR ONLINE AT http://WWW.SLOPESUDS.COM

21. baby quilts says:

So many leagues of appreciation for your marvelous writing. I truly love it!

22. Paul Betts says:

Bacon is surely my favourite food by miles! This just sounds too good to be true. When you are over here in March, Ross and Joanna, please, please bring some for us to sample.
    Maybe, if we get the chance to take you to see some interesting places here in Mallorca, we can find someone who will manufacture BaconMarmalade under licence to you in Brooklyn. Actually I think we will be fighting off potential collaborators with a big stick!!
    This could be a great way to grow your business and spread your enthusiasm to the Mediterranean!
    Really looking forward to meeting you guys.

23. Paul Betts says:

Forgot to tick the email me follow up messages box – sorry!

24. I’m thinking this would taste like heaven in a grilled cheese. I’m sold!

25. Okay Bacon Marmalade sounds like something I would like to try. Thanks for the info!

26. I precisely wanted to thank you very much once again. I’m not certain the things that I could possibly have done without the entire recommendations discussed by you on such concern. This has been a very hard scenario in my circumstances, but spending time with a well-written style you solved it made me to weep for contentment. I’m thankful for this assistance and pray you comprehend what a great job that you are carrying out teaching many others through the use of a site. More than likely you’ve never come across any of us.

27. shops says:

Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any means you may take away me from that service? Thanks!