Raising Ducks with Pride, Part II: Savoy’s Local Duck Dish

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Feb 24, 2010

How to cook local duck. So we showed you John Fazio’s small duck farm and the unique salt curing process, now it’s time to make a dish.

In true farm to table fashion, Savoy restaurant in NYC shows us how they prepare fresh local duck from John Fazio’s Farm. Meet Chef de Cuisine Ryan Tate and watch as he explains the process to cooking duck properly and why their restaurant believes in working with small farmers.

Executive Chef Peter Hoffman of Savoy is very picky when it comes to sourcing the local ingredients for his restaurant, he had this to say about John Fazio:

‚ÄúJohn’s doing a great thing. He is taking a duck of fine breeding and heritage and raising them with care and quality. For a dish that has become a signature of our cooking, it’s vital that our ingredients consistently reflect our values and our commitment to great taste. Fazio’s ducks do that.‚Äù

Hope you take the time to find local farmers in your area that raise local ducks with pride. Or if you would like to directly contact John Fazio, you can DM me on Twitter.  Happy eating!

Thanks for watching food. curated.

Comments

1. Jeannie Rose says:

I’m feeling awful today & that *still* looks amazing. When appetite returns I know what I want to eat. Cute video Lisa, great job!

2. Keavy says:

This look so delicious. They definitely did take some liberties with the word risotto. haha.

Whatever happened with the ducks that got covered in salt? Do we have to go there to find out?

3. Robbie says:

Love the start to finish format. Absolutely delightful.
    @ keavy: Ducks look like thay were salt baked, butchered, pan fried then roasted.

4. Danny says:

ah.. that looks divine. so they salt baked that duck and then they brown it in a pan?

5. Booogie says:

I love it how your pieces all connect together. The series with the ducks, then where they go and how they’re prepared at the restaurant. really great.

6. karie7512 says:

Hello! Brief problem that’s 100 % off area.
    Are you aware how to make a site smartphone welcoming? My web page appearances peculiar when browsing from my cellphone.
    I’m trying to find a design or wordpress tool that might be able to deal with this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.
    Thanks a lot.