The Underground Lobster Pound: A Purist, An Apartment & The Perfect Lobster Roll *food curated*

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Jan 30, 2010

Meet Ben Sargent, a Boston born and bred die-hard traditionalist when it comes to seafood.

Ben’s got a bone…actually, make that cartilage to pick with New York City’s lobster rolls, claiming that most New Yorkers don’t know what a ‘real’ lobster roll is, the kind he grew up on eating dockside in Cape Cod and Boston.

So, aiming to educate, he opened The Underground Lobster Pound, a questionably legal underground lobster shack out of his basement apartment in Brooklyn, welcoming friends, strangers and die-hard lobster roll aficionados to get a true taste of what “God had a hand in creating”…the true version of the Northeast lobster roll. It’s a roll he believes in and the start of a lobster roll and chowder shack he hopes to build in the near future.

Please enjoy this little tale about a man re-discovering his true purpose in life, and take a moment to think if you’ve truly tasted the perfect lobster roll, if not…well, you’ve still got time.

To find Ben & his semi-secret underground lobster pound, you can DM me on Twitter and I’ll give you his ordering number, or friend him off his website at http://www.brooklynchowdersurfer.com/

Thanks for watching food. curated.

**Ben is also a popular radio host on The Heritage Radio Network, tune in to his radio show on Wednesdays, Catch It, Cook It, Eat It**

Comments

1. Law says:

Awesome! Go Liza!

Brian and Lisa
    Venice Beach, CA

2. zenchef says:

Wow. Liza. You did it again! This is the real deal. I want my renegade lobster roll! And i want it through the mailbox slot. Number, please. :)

3. Jordan says:

Another good episode, Keep them coming. Thanks for sharing.

4. Tina says:

Awesome video! (As usual. :) )

5. PATRICIA HAYES says:

Good one again Liza! I’ve have many lobster rolls here in MV and this guy definitely has it down. Thank you for sharing and keep them coming. Right now I’m hungry for a lobster roll…..

6. syd says:

How much does he charge?

7. Filip says:

hi liza,
    great story! i’m a greenpoint resident and lobster-lover — any chance i could get the contact info for ben?
    thanks

8. John says:

Great story. I’m a New England transplant and would kill for a real lobster roll. Could I get his number?

Hey! Thanks for watching – so glad you’re into what Ben is doing. :) This story is really getting a lot of great attention, but I hope it doesn’t shut him down! I’ll send the secret number directly to you emails. Hope you make it out! – Liza

9. John says:

Hey! Great story. I go to williamsburg often and I want my renegade Lobster Roll. Can I have Ben’s number?

10. Saucy Smith says:

What’s that saying ” A lobster (roll) a day keeps the doctor away”…..that’s it isn’t it..!!

There are too many BAD lobster rolls out there. Thanks for doing your part to fix the situation,Ben.

Cheers
    SAUCY

11. Nice video, Liza. It was great to see you at the Food Media Panel. Terrific subject, good work, your future is bright. Keep it coming I will totally be watching. Best, Heather PS I really need a lobster roll now.

12. davy says:

im in brooklyn and would love to try a lobster roll they look delicshioussdty haha any contact number for an order.

13. Howard says:

Can you please send me this guys number. I live right in Long Island city and would really like to go to this guy instead of pearl oyster bar all the way in the village for a “fix” Thanks, Howard

14. rick says:

Being and growing up on the beach in Hull Mass (nantsket) I think our experience was the same and lobster rolls were simple and cheap and abundant . Chowder required digging clams , quohogs and mussels were everywhere and you learned where to get them from the generation before . Steamers were also amazing and i used to dig them all the time. Living in Brooklyn and New york for the past 10 years i still have to go back to the source and i am really interested in where i get these lobster rolls . Good luck

15. mike says:

Hi Liza,
    Was wondering if I could have the number to this legend / myth of the infamous lobster roll : ) cheers!
    Mike

16. Rebecca Goyette says:

I would like Ben Sargent’s number… gotta have a lobsta roll! I am a fellow New Englander with the same opinion about how a lobsta roll needs to be.

Cheers, Rebecca

17. Underground Lobster Pound…who knew?
    Craving a fresh Lobster Roll now too!

18. Greg Ricca says:

I saw this video on Chef John’s Foodwishes.blogspot.com. I really enjoyed it. And now I’ve found your blog. Many years ago I used lived in NY and went to Main regularly and enjoyed many great lobster rolls.
    Thanks for a great video.
    Greg, JBR Arkansas.

Hi Greg! Chef John is such a great guy. Thanks for stopping by the site and watching my little food stories. People are just so inspiring… Hope you make it back to NYC sometime. I can lead you to the Underground Pound…

19. Howard says:

I got 4 of these rolls tonight and they are ridiculous. So yummy. I have a friend that is a professional chef and used to work at pearl oyster bar and even he was impressed, and plans to go back with me next time. Ben is a super nice guy as well. I was just reading about the food and never saw a picture of Liza until I registered on twitter to get the number for the lobster rolls. Man Is she a hottie or what? Someone is really Lucky. A hottie and a foodie? That’s hitting the daily double if you ask me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Howard says:

Sorry to subject you to the crazy run on sentence. I just got carried away for a second. Enjoy.

21. allison says:

ohhhhhhhhh no!!! am i too late to try out the lobster roll? i saw some vid on wpix11 news that he was shut down :(

22. garie says:

I think it was cruel for the last lobster,the first going into hot water when chilled is ok,but the last just sitting on top getting steamed to death is not ok .

23. garie says:

No offence but that has to be the weakest excuse i have ever heard.

24. You have got to love lobster. The sweet succulent meat. I love it. Keep the love.

25. Greetings, good site. Want to get money for blogging? Check out: http://bit.ly/PaidWriting

26. bapple says:

Hello
    love this guy- can you please email me the code to get a roll- I live in brooklyn… is it too late?
    have a great weekend!

27. ilya says:

ben’s my hero. what’s his contact #? thanks!

ilya

28. Vibeansy says:

Hi Liza! I met you outside of Zlata Praha during the Gastronauts event – was nice to meet you. Love your series! Would love the contact info so I can try to get to taste this lobster roll! My friends from Maine laugh at our lobster rolls here in NYC – so my mouth waters when they describe what a true roll should be like!

29. Michelle McCrea says:

I saw your videos. What would it take to get this number. Hubby and I are foodies and would kill some a great lobster rolls. We just came back some having a so/so lobster roll in brooklyn. I want the real deal. Can someone email me the number and/or location PLEASE!!! musho71473@aol.com

30. Jacob says:

Could you send me ben’s number/email and price info per lobster roll? His stuff looks great! Great article, really glad you guys covered this.

31. Michelle McCrea says:

Hello, I posted on July 11, 2010 asking for the phone number and address. Someone replied on the 13th saying that they sent it to my email. I have not received it as of yet. Can someone please send it to me. I am craving!! Thanks

32. Sean says:

could you please email me Ben’s contact info, spd122@yahoo.com

33. Helena says:

Would someone mind sending me the contact number? redmenace@mindspring.com

Thank you!

34. another request….please send contact info! thanks: mrspilkingtonknits@yahoo.com

35. Sharon Eastzer says:

Would love to have a lobster roll from Ben. How do I go about doing that?
    Thank you.

36. Thank you , I’ll have to subscribe your site and read the rest I think. The first date my wife and I had nearly 20 years ago now was a lovely seafood restaurant in Napoli, so I’ve been spending so long trying to find a decent grilled lobster recipe like we had that night – our anniversary is next month so I’m hoping to surprise her!

37. Emily says:

Hey, great piece! I really want to check Ben’s place out… is he still in business?? If possible, email me the address!

38. Rich says:

Great piece! Another unique adventure in NYC. One more request for Ben’s contact info. Thanks Liza!

39. Anastasia says:

Hello–I am a lobster lover and live right in LIC! I’d love to try this! Can you email me Ben’s Info? Is this still up and running? I hope it is! My email is godivagal@yahoo.com–Thanks Liza!

40. Connie says:

Could you please send me Ben’s contact info for lobster roll. Will be in NYC in a few weeks! Thanks.

41. sabrina says:

Hi,
    so i just followed you to twitter (vssecrets). i have no idea how to send you a message. I signed on, but never used it…LOL…i would love to get the number, want a lobster roll!! :)

please let me know what i need to do… :)

42. kate simon says:

can you please send me bens contact info?

Hi Kate! Ben is on a bit of a hiatus now that he’s got his own show on The Cooking Channel. Best way to contact him would be off twitter: @doctorklaw

43. Al says:

My family owns multiple pizzerias nearby greenpoint! Please provide a fellow seafoodie with some lobstah rolls mannn.

44. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

45. Rob NYC says:

Would love to have Ben’s contact info. Have eaten at both Luke’s and Red Hook lobster (plus many many lesser places). Love to try one this fresh. LOOKED GREAT!!

46. I have read a few just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how a lot attempt you set to create the sort
    of great informative web site.

47. You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I in finding this matter to
    be really one thing that I think I’d by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very large for me. I’m
    taking a look ahead for your subsequent publish, I will try to get the
    cling of it!

48. The manor says:

While increasing numbers of international expatriates are choosing to make Vietnam their home, it is not always easy to find a suitable living space to really call “home”. That is where HOME SWEET HOME Company Ltd. can help! We appreciate the contribution you make to our developing nation and in return, hope to make your stay in Vietnam just a little bit easier.

We are a locally operated Vietnamese company dedicated to providing quality support in helping you find rental properties to suit your modern lifestyle. Our website:http://www.themanorforrent.com is a free online service designed to help you find the right place for you to live, relax, entertain in or simply call “home”.