Reinventing the Perfect Cupcake: Kumquat Cupcakery’s Bite-Sized Treats *food curated*

Our VideosBy Liza de Guia on Jan 25, 2010

Secret recipes are secret for a reason.

Meet Keavy Landreth, owner of Kumquat Cupcakery in Brooklyn. I was invited into her kitchen space to see how she makes her secret recipe for what many refer to as “Brooklyn’s favorite miniature cupcakes”.

A few years back, Keavy found herself disappointed with the over-sized, dry, unmemorable cupcake offerings in cupcake-obsessed New York City, and decided to create an entirely original recipe of her own, just for fun. She started selling to family & friends, then to local flea markets, hearing over and over from customers that her cupcakes were “the best cupcakes they’ve ever had”.

(And after tasting a dozen or so myself, they are definitely the best cupcakes I’ve ever had!)

Knowing that food was a passion she always wanted to persue, she decided to launch Kumquat Cupcakery. And now this one-woman-show cupcake catering business sells 2,000-3,000 cupcakes per week!

Thanks for watching food. curated.

To get your hands on Keavy’s cupcakes or to check out her line-up of flavors, please visit: http://www.kumquatcupcakery.com, or stop by The Brooklyn Flea on weekends!

Comments

1. Feel like I just watched the best bits of my favorite romantic movie. Bite-sized, visually stunning, decadent – just like Kumquat! Another beautiful video, Liza! Good to have you back.

2. I just looked up “decadent”. I’d like to replace it with “exquisite” or “delicious”.

3. emily says:

This video is so cute! Not only is Keavy a sweetheart, but the energy and passion she has for her product makes it such a wonderful company to support. Not only that, but she makes a darn tasty cupcake.

4. Lyndon says:

Been watching for awhile and I just wanted to say I love your videos!!

My favorite interview so far, she’s just so adorable :)

5. steve fried says:

REALLY WELL DONE. LOVE THE PACING, THE ENERGY, AND KEAVY IS AS ADORABLE AS HER CUPCAKES. WISHING HER LOTS OF SUCCESS. VERY NICE PRODUCTION QUALITY AND VERY RELAXED. NICELY DONE LIZA…

6. Jin says:

Excellent video…love the energy and the vibe…beautiful work. Keavy love her personality and her cupcakes look delicious! Will have to check her out at Brooklyn Flea ;-)

7. egg says:

gorgeous video, gorgeous cupcakes! was going to wait for her pop-up shop, but after watching that i’m not sure i can go that long without a tiny delicious bite of chocolate cupcake…
    thanks liza! you keep finding all these treasures!

8. mariana c says:

Love your new video, Liza! Beautiful filming and story, as always. Need to make it to Brooklyn Flea to try Kumquat.

9. PATRICIA HAYES says:

Liza,

Loved this video. Keavy is absolutely adorable and her cupcakes look beautiful and can only imagine how delish they are! Have to get a sampling next time I am in Brooklyn. Best of luck to Keavy and thanks again Liza for a great video.

Pat and John

10. Liz says:

Love it, Liza – as always! MMMmm makes me want to get some of those cupcakes! ;)

11. Lukas says:

Keavy is sooooo cute :) I didn’t pay attentetion to those cupcakes for the first time at all ;D

12. Carsten says:

Thanks for sharing this. I really feel hungry now!

Cheers,

Carsten
    tasteandshare.com
    food social network * wine social network

13. Jacob Cass says:

Had these cupcakes at a recent event here in Dumbo (Digital Dumbo #12) and they are the best cupcakes I’ve ever had too. Great video and no surprise to see the owner being so passionate about her work!

14. Heesa Phadie says:

Wow…I think I’m in love. Cupcakes…her own business….a beautiful smile :)

I found you via your Serious Eats interview BTW and am loving it. You do a fantastic job!

15. Great video! You definitely have a talent for visual storytelling!
    I’m also really impressed with the young female entrepreneur. She’s doing what she loves and having fun with it — it’s inspiring! Thanks for sharing her story.

16. Salut ‚àö‚Ć tous! Anne K veulent nominer Am‚àö¬©lie Julie ou Senna le clan des winners menac‚àö¬© ils ont compris que c’‚àö¬©taient des hypocrites Votez Maxime !

17. Téoxanne says:

Salut à tous! Anne K veulent nominer Amélie Julie ou Senna le clan des winners menacé ils ont compris que c’étaient des hypocrites Votez Maxime !

18. Beautiful blog you’ve made here.. Truly, it’s quite a feat! Keep up the good work ^_^

19. Seasonal. Sustainably-focused. And Local. This is truly an inspiring story about “going for it” packed into one little bite. Enjoy!

20. Ich danke für diesen Blog. Sehr informell gepostet. Ich werde jetzt öfter hier lesen. Danke .

21. If you would like to take a good deal from this article then you have to apply these techniques to your won website.

22. Davida says:

It was necessary to descend to locate it.

23. When I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I
    recieve four emails with the same comment. Perhaps there is a way you can remove me
    from that service? Appreciate it!